Aspiring flute maker.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Adrian W.

Re: Aspiring flute maker.

Post by Adrian W. »

joshua7b wrote:There's always the possibility of getting around the irritation that comes from international shipping by limiting any tours to only people within the UK.
ahem... that won't work, AT ALL. Some of us live in Canada.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Damian Thompson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Post by Damian Thompson »

Thanks for the ideas, the possibility of a tour is certainly something i'm happy to consider, especially as there seems to be a fair level of interest. I agree that a delrin instrument would be potentially less problematic considering the recent CITIES regulations etc, and I definitely wouldn't want any cross border red tape/paperwork to limit the flutes travel or cause problems for people along the way..so hopefully this way anyone in the U.S/Canada or Europe/UK (or wherever) can participate if they would like to. I will start a separate 'Tour' thread when the instrument is ready to go, in the meantime I have added a bit more to the website, including pictures of the three models I am currently offering. Many thanks again! Damian. https://www.thompsonflutes.com/
Scouter
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

Post by Scouter »

Damian,

Any chance a smaller holed flute is showing up in your crystal ball? See the future...

Scouter
Damian Thompson
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Scouter, I have tended to be more drawn to the larger holed flutes thus far as they seem (with good reason) to be the preferred choice within Irish music circles, but in actual fact I have been looking at offering a smaller holed version of my delrin 'Student' model, perhaps even with off set tone holes for those with smaller hands, so its on the cards at least as far as that for now.
Scouter
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

Post by Scouter »

Two small thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dibbs

Post by Dibbs »

Hi,

I just looked at your web site. I too made a flute with Robert Bigio in Cambridge a couple of years ago. It was a very interesting week.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Damian Thompson wrote:as they seem (with good reason) to be the preferred choice within Irish music circles
I'm not sure that's the case at all, and think you'll find enthusiastic 'schools' leaning either way as well as those with no preference.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I must agree with Peter Duggan. There is a spectrum of choices for the traditional flute player for the simple reason that there is no one single cup of tea.
A little time spent reading Terry McGees' pages concerning Grey Larsen's flute, and Terry's Grey Larsen Preferred model flute may be enlightening. I have been in 'cattle stampede' sessions where you would want a loud instrument. I have been in situations where a loud instrument would be not welcome.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

an seanduine wrote:A little time spent reading Terry McGees' pages concerning Grey Larsen's flute, and Terry's Grey Larsen Preferred model flute may be enlightening.
Funnily enough that was one of the specific examples I had in mind along with the more general (and not always accurate) Pratten vs. Rudall stereotypes!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Barry S
Tell us something.: I currently own a Dana Ross native American flute.
I am interested in learning about wooden Irish flutes

Post by Barry S »

Just had a look at and liked your facebook page :) I'm an engineer by profession, I like the Colchester 600 you have bought, some serious taper turning required by the look of things.... onward and upwards for you, as the saying goes :)
Damian Thompson

Dibbs, yes the short course given by Robert Bigio in Cambridge is a fantastic introduction to flute making and I would fully recommend it to anyone at all interested in the subject. It was invaluable to me in getting started. Peter Duggan, by 'larger holed' I was simply referring to the later flutes by the English makers such as Rudall & Rose or Boosey & Co as opposed to say, the German/European counterparts of the time, I would of course agree there is no 'one size fits all' model. Barry S, the Colchester lathe is an absolute beauty thanks, it does the job magnificently :)