Slow Air recommendations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Adrian W.

Re: Slow Air recommendations

Post by Adrian W. »

Don't know if it's the sort of slow air the OP is looking for, but Mrs. Crawford/Forneth House is a beautiful, slowish, happy tune....not sure if it it played outside Cape Breton, but Beolach play it as Mrs. Crawford, and Kimberley Fraser plays it as Forneth House. Beautiful melody, can really only be played alone, gorgeous tune.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Adrian W. wrote:Don't know if it's the sort of slow air the OP is looking for, but Mrs. Crawford/Forneth House is a beautiful, slowish, happy tune....not sure if it it played outside Cape Breton, but Beolach play it as Mrs. Crawford, and Kimberley Fraser plays it as Forneth House. Beautiful melody, can really only be played alone, gorgeous tune.
You don't have a link do you? I know a Miss Crawford's, but that's a reel. I thought I'd found a link on YouTube to Beolach playing it, but, as usual, "this video is not available". :(
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: You don't have a link do you? I know a Miss Crawford's, but that's a reel. I thought I'd found a link on YouTube to Beolach playing it, but, as usual, "this video is not available". :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epAXKSvCO6E

If that's the link, it's playing for me, but I had to switch to a US proxy server.

So much stuff is geo-coded these days that it's worth developing the capacity. Opera's is free, built right into the browser and lets you pretend to be in Canada, the US, Netherlands, Germany, and Singapore. I wish they had a UK node so I could stream the Beeb, but that's my only quibble.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: You don't have a link do you? I know a Miss Crawford's, but that's a reel. I thought I'd found a link on YouTube to Beolach playing it, but, as usual, "this video is not available". :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epAXKSvCO6E

If that's the link, it's playing for me, but I had to switch to a US proxy server.
Yeah. I don't know how to do that. However, I've now managed to find it elsewhere. I don't even know what site I'm on. The tune on the Beolach recording is a very different tune from Miss Crawford's . This Mrs Crawford's is not one I've heard before. Beautiful, and a great arrangement, although in the guitar parts I found it really difficult to pick out what was the tune. That's not to detract from the track which was gorgeous.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: Yeah. I don't know how to do that.
I amended my post above with advice on how to do exactly that. I could make it a lot more explicit if necessary.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: Yeah. I don't know how to do that.
I amended my post above with advice on how to do exactly that. I could make it a lot more explicit if necessary.
No, y're fine, and thanks for the help. Maybe I'll get round to it one day ...
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

stetix01 wrote:
DrPhill wrote:A little late to the party, but my all-time favourite to play is Cape Clear - although my 'version' may well have drifted quite far from recognisable... Here is an old recording of mine but there are probably better out there
Absolutely Gorgeous! I have to learn it! What did you play it on?
Thank you, (though probably a bit much reverb for my taste these days). I played it on a Bleazey low D (probably damson wood) These days I would use my bass A.

I have no idea where I learned it - and no idea how it compares to what I learned. It is one of the few tunes that I can really get inside(?) and since I have no reference to compare with it keeps changing over time. Slow airs are what I like to play, but I have found few that I understand (?) well enough to play to my satisfaction.

(?) - I know what I mean but I am not sure how to express it.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

"The tune on the Beolach recording is a very different tune from Miss Crawford's . This Mrs Crawford's is not one I've heard before. Beautiful, and a great arrangement, although in the guitar parts I found it really difficult to pick out what was the tune. That's not to detract from the track which was gorgeous."

I don't know what you're listening to; the way Beolach play it, the lead instrument is Ryan J. Macneil playing it on low whistle. It is the same tune called Forneth House on Kimberely Frasers Falling on New Ground (first tune, track one)... that's on Spotify if you can use that.

Seems to be a Cape Breton tune; don't know if anyone else has recorded it, but on the list here, everyone is a Cape Bretoner except Dara MacDonald (from Antigonish, half an hour away), and Brendan Block.... from Ontario, don't know him, but he seems to have a lot of Cape Breton connections. http://www.cbfiddle.com/rx/tune/t50.html

Here is a setting of the tune, but I haven't played it so i'm not sure how close it is to the version i know; they call it a slow strathspey, but note it can be played as a slow air. http://s3.spanglefish.com/s/18710/docum ... -house.pdf

Here we go; a Nigel Gatherer version, this is what we play here, though you have to vary the rhythm as written to
get it https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118 ... /FornH.pdf
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Adrian W. wrote:I don't know what you're listening to; the way Beolach play it, the lead instrument is Ryan J. Macneil playing it on low whistle.
I listened to something claiming to be the track from the Beolach album "Variations". The first couple of times through the tune, the lead instrument is guitar. Then the low whistle comes in and it's clear enough what the tune is (with an octave folded note here and there).
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

benhall.1 wrote:
Adrian W. wrote:I don't know what you're listening to; the way Beolach play it, the lead instrument is Ryan J. Macneil playing it on low whistle.
I listened to something claiming to be the track from the Beolach album "Variations". The first couple of times through the tune, the lead instrument is guitar. Then the low whistle comes in and it's clear enough what the tune is (with an octave folded note here and there).
That's it; glad you found it. I'm also having problems with the copyright stuff and 'content not fund'. I just checked BTW and both Beolach cd's are on Spotify if anyone was looking for them.
Hully
Tell us something.: Ive been 'playing' the High D whistle 18 months, want to try the Low D whistle, looking for tips. advice, guidance

Post by Hully »

Peter Duggan wrote: See what you've made me do, Ben...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQ6zQxUsVA
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Care to explain, Hully? :-?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I'm certainly curious also Peter....strange thing to post...esp. with no explaination!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

which made me do this

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ytliek

Post by ytliek »