my incorrect hand position

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Flutulator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Re: my incorrect hand position

Post by Flutulator »

myles wrote: It'll be interesting to see how the era of the Internet and the standardisation of teaching practices works out.
Coming from the GHB world, initially, the idea that Irish trad has "standardization of teaching practices" seems pretty overstated ;)
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Flutulator wrote:Coming from the GHB world, initially, the idea that Irish trad has "standardization of teaching practices" seems pretty overstated ;)
As a GHBer it amuses me too, but there is a genuine concern that there is too much standardisation and homogenisation going on, and it gets some people fairly wound up.
myles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

I suppose there are currently a lot of young players brought up within a 'competition' system who are very technically accomplished in a sort of semi-legato style. This might give the impression of increasing homogenisation...and it was the 'competition' format that helped push the Highland instrument towards a standardised approach. But the GHB have had two hundred years' head start in going down that road.

After saying all that the standardisation and improvement of teaching practices is probably a good thing - it'll help players progress with what remains a challenging instrument. In the process though we'll probably lose some of the more idiosyncratic flourishes. Would anyone else teach ornaments like Crowley's GHB-ish cuttings now?