Slow Air recommendations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stetix01
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am trying to make up my mind as to play irish flute or tin whistle. Was hoping the site could help.

Slow Air recommendations

Post by stetix01 »

I just learned "An Fanochean" on Bb and high D. That one tears me up- its amazingly beautiful. Can anyone recommend similar slow airs to learn? Thank you good people.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Re: Slow Air recommendations

Post by nicx66 »

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

An Feochan/The Gentle Breeze was composed by Tommy Peoples. You may like his other compositions. The Book (both a collection of dance music and airs, and fiddle tutor)
My brain hurts

imgoingtospain
Tell us something.: I have a few questions about whistle construction and mechanics. I also like the saddest Irish songs.

Post by imgoingtospain »

My favorite slow tunes are:
Sliabh geal gCua
Si bheag si mhor
Leaving Lerwick Harbor (contemporary but a beautiful sad melody)

Best,
-IGS
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

imgoingtospain wrote:My favorite slow tunes are:
Sliabh geal gCua
Si bheag si mhor
Leaving Lerwick Harbor (contemporary but a beautiful sad melody)

Best,
-IGS
Nice tunes all; but to my mind only the first of those would qualify as a "slow air" in the usually understood (for ITM) sense. Leaving Lerwick Harbour is nearly a slow march to my ear. Not sure how Willie Hunter thought of it, but to my ear it doesn't fit with the usual class of Irish slow airs. (I guess it wouldn't, thinking about it.)

And Sí Beag Sí Mor is a waltz.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And Sí Beag Sí Mor is a waltz.
It's 3/4 tune, although I have seen it rendered in 6/4. It's a harp tune, Carolan's tunes in most cases had words attached so in that sense it could be argued it's an air although how slow it is is open to interpretation.

If you want to take the approach you are taking it could be argued the tune that inspired the OP, (presumably) An Feochan, is not an air in the Sean Nos tradition either, it's a slow tune composed by Tommy Peoples, without words or song connected to it. Without a title even, until Altan named it for their recording of it. But that would be nitpicking, wouldn't it?
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Leaving Lerwick Harbour is nearly a slow march to my ear. Not sure how Willie Hunter thought of it, but to my ear it doesn't fit with the usual class of Irish slow airs. (I guess it wouldn't, thinking about it.)
It's a slow air, and Willie Hunter would have regarded it as such. But not one of vocal origin or fitting the 'usual class of Irish slow airs'. It's from the Scottish/Shetland slow air tradition, as you've effectively acknowledged here.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

don't know how similar it is but "The Coolin" would be one good air to have under the fingers...when I first visited Ireland in the early 80's, I was asked to play an air at one of the local sessions, forget what I played but the old fella who asked said "not too bad", a typical Irish response I've learned to understand :) He says " you have to learn The Coolin, I hadn't heard of it at that point. Got back to Canada and immediately looked ofr a recording of it. On cassette, at that time, by The Chieftains. It's been one of my go to airs ever since!
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"Lament for Oliver Goldsmith", composed by Seamus Shannon, has always been a favourite of mine since hearing Finbar Furey play it as a whistle solo in the late 1970s. My favourite slow air played on whistle ever, and he never, as far as I know, recorded it. I have a live recording of him playing it. Send me a PM if interested.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

A few favorites:
The Parting Of Friends
Port na bPucaí
An Buachaillin Ban

Also, the cds that accompany Tomas O'Canainn's 'Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland' have recordings to over 100 slow airs.
stetix01
Tell us something.: I am trying to make up my mind as to play irish flute or tin whistle. Was hoping the site could help.

Post by stetix01 »

Thank you everyone. Thats exactly what I was looking for.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

My favourite is Cuimhne an Phiobaire, on Chieftains 7 under No.6 The Coombe. A Sean Potts composition, so it's not ancient, but for me it's a knockout.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

That is an excellent choice Adrian... I forgot about that one....I have so many airs under the fingers, including some of my own. I once sat down and recorded 27 slow airs in one go...only stopped at 27 as I ran out of space on my mini disc...I was experimenting with the new mini disc recorder "craze" that was on the go some years ago. I'm off to play the Coombe now as it wasn't with the 27 :)
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Adrian W. wrote:My favourite is Cuimhne an Phiobaire, on Chieftains 7 under No.6 The Coombe. A Sean Potts composition, so it's not ancient, but for me it's a knockout.
Since you don't mind half-holing the f-naturals in Cuimhne An Phíobaire, you might also like "The Green Fields of Canada", another beautiful air that uses the F natural to great effect (and a personal favorite of mine).
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
stetix01

Post by stetix01 »

The Green fields of Canada is amazing! If anyone has done a whistle version I'd love to hear it.