How High Do You Play?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CorneliusG
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a new Uillean piper (5 years), but a GHB piper of several decades. I'm interested in this forum for the information I can gather on the UP. I work with a UP teacher, but he's the only one I know who plays and I can't be bothering him all the time. (That's not really me in the photo.)

How High Do You Play?

Post by CorneliusG »

Hello. I'm a new player on the UP (about 4 months), having played the GHB for several decades. I've been lurking on this forum for a while and haven't seen this addressed, but it's something I'm curious about.

Getting up into the high register consistently, and staying there, is one of the most challenging things I find about learning the UPs.

So how high in the octave do you go in your repertoire? My teacher tells me that in his entire repertoire he has only two tunes that have high C's (C6, in other words). On a good day under ideal conditions he said he has hit D6, E6, and F6, but that's not in the context of a tune.

So I'd be interested in hearing from more experienced players than myself (which is almost everyone): how high do you go in your repertoires, i.e., practically speaking, not as a matter of what's physically possible for the UPs.

Thanks.
daveboling

Re: How High Do You Play?

Post by daveboling »

I can think of 5 or 6 tunes I play that use the high C-nat, but none that go any higher. I'm sure they're out there, but I've found no need to seek them out.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Heres one with a high high d and even his royal highness has trouble with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1Og2Ak8P0

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

Yeh...once you can play the Queen of the Fairies and consistently get that 3rd D, that's a sense of achievement - and
helps answer 3 big questions in one go.
M
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

CorneliusG wrote:Hello. I'm a new player on the UP (about 4 months), having played the GHB for several decades. I've been lurking on this forum for a while and haven't seen this addressed, but it's something I'm curious about.

Getting up into the high register consistently, and staying there, is one of the most challenging things I find about learning the UPs.

So how high in the octave do you go in your repertoire? My teacher tells me that in his entire repertoire he has only two tunes that have high C's (C6, in other words). On a good day under ideal conditions he said he has hit D6, E6, and F6, but that's not in the context of a tune.

So I'd be interested in hearing from more experienced players than myself (which is almost everyone): how high do you go in your repertoires, i.e., practically speaking, not as a matter of what's physically possible for the UPs.

Thanks.

Hrrrm. . . I can think of just a few that go past high B in my ready-to-go repertoire. (Flute, not pipes, but the range challenges are similar)

Splendid Isolation
Richard Dwyer's
Naughton's (Mary Bergins)
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
Finikey O'Reeley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Finikey O'Reeley »

I try not to play when I'm even a little high. Throws off my focus. :D
Never give others good reason to be glad to see you go.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

A gentleman never tells.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

I heard Tim Britton coax a chanter
up to f# in the 3rd octave consistently
with one reed that he had going.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
CorneliusG
Tell us something.: I'm a new Uillean piper (5 years), but a GHB piper of several decades. I'm interested in this forum for the information I can gather on the UP. I work with a UP teacher, but he's the only one I know who plays and I can't be bothering him all the time. (That's not really me in the photo.)

Post by CorneliusG »

Finikey O'Reeley wrote:I try not to play when I'm even a little high. Throws off my focus. :D
:P
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

CorneliusG wrote:Getting up into the high register consistently, and staying there, is one of the most challenging things I find about learning the UPs.
Getting to, and staying in, the upper octave, (particularly above hi G), is a question of technique (pinching and venting). Your teacher will show you when the time is right.

I play plenty of tunes which have hi B and hi A. I only play 3 or 4 tunes which require hi C, but I sometimes use hi C as an ornament/grace note on hi B or A.
PJ
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

PJ wrote:
CorneliusG wrote:Getting up into the high register consistently, and staying there, is one of the most challenging things I find about learning the UPs.
Getting to, and staying in, the upper octave, (particularly above hi G), is a question of technique (pinching and venting). Your teacher will show you when the time is right.

I play plenty of tunes which have hi B and hi A. I only play 3 or 4 tunes which require hi C, but I sometimes use hi C as an ornament/grace note on hi B or A.

My chanter is maybe a little *too* easy. . . the low G pops upstairs if I look at is sideways.
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)