Whistle B pitched

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Alaricus
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like uilleann pipes and Northumbrian smallpipes! And irish flute and tin whistles. I play tenor sax, too...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Whistle B pitched

Post by Alaricus »

I'm searching for a reliable whistle pitched in B, as I want to double melody and countersing my uilleann pipe B chanter. It seems anyway very difficult to find one. After some quick research I found and bought a Shaw, but I find it quite disappointing. It needs an enormous amount of air to produce only a weak and feeble sound. Construction seems very poor (at least, compared to all others whistle I have -Lofgren, Chieftains, Alba, Killarney, and so on). Maybe I was unlucky with this specific Shaw, as I've not read of peculiar lamentations about this maker.
Could someone suggest some other maker of B whistles? Or, which other pitch could suit my need for accompaniment of of a B pitched uilleann chanter, without need of crazy prestidigitation with fingering?

many thanks!

Alberto
dyersituations

Re: Whistle B pitched

Post by dyersituations »

I was recently looking for a cheap B whistle. After searching through C&F post history, I came across recommendations to convert a Bb Generation to B. While I haven't had time to complete the conversion, I do have a Bb Generation waiting. If that sounds like a reasonable prospect to you, here's the post I have saved with tips:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97853&view=next
Life is good.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I started to reply, but saw my reply on the thread linked below. I've done this three times now (two of my own and one of a student's) and it worked all three times. They're right up there as the best whistles I've played, too.
Mike Clougherty
Tell us something.: Well, what can I say, I love whistling and the culture that surrounds it. I've been reading this forum for about a year, which is the same time that I've been playing the whistle, though I've been exposed to ITM for most of my life. With a name like Michael Patrick Clougherty who could've guessed? Haha. Anyway, I love this forum and the people that populate it, and I look forward to participating!

Post by Mike Clougherty »

Funnily enough, just a couple weeks ago I bought a B whitecap from Mack Hoover. It is easily one of the best whistles I've ever owned. Mines a narrow bore, so a bit quieter than his traditional bore, but he also sent me a traditional B so I could try out which one I liked better. I kept the narrow bore. You can't go wrong with either, really. I have a bunch of his other whistles and they are consistently fantastic, and he's a great guy to deal with with a great reputation 'round the whistle community. Shoot him an email if you'd like: hoover.mc@gmail.com
gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

I have a Jerry Freeman B. Its a modified and tweaked Gen Bb. I like it a lot, even more than Jerry's Bb. As for bass B whistles I know of 3 makers of them - Colin Goldie, Hans Bracker and Alba. I think you would need to be prepared to wait quite a while for a Goldie. I have just ordered an Alba after reading the recent positive review of the Alba low D.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

Susato makes a (loud) B whistle
Last edited by nicx66 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
saintninian

Post by saintninian »

I have a Syn B. Well made, easy to play, and a beautiful, mellow sound. It's one of my favorite whistles.
Alaricus
Tell us something.: I like uilleann pipes and Northumbrian smallpipes! And irish flute and tin whistles. I play tenor sax, too...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Post by Alaricus »

Thanks everybody for all suggestions!
Very interesting the nice dispute of tweaking school of thought vs the "buy a new one" school of thought !
As I'm not a good DIYer, I'm thinking to go for a new one, but as a matter of fact, I'm intrigued to try the "kill & cut a Bb (Generation)" action! (being easier and not-so-costly to buy another Bb than a new B whistle).

Many thanks!
Alberto Z
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here, the 3rd from left:

These as you can see are Generations going chromatically starting on the left A Bb B C C# D Eb (I haven't got round to making an E).

It's quite easy to turn a Generation Bb into a B (or a Generation C into a C#).

1) remove the head.

2) chop the top until the upper-hand notes fingered

xxx ooo
xxo ooo
xoo ooo

are in tune to the new target pitch. (A chromatic electronic tuner is very helpful.)

You will discover now that the "bell note"

xxx xxx

is flat, so

3) chop the bottom until the bell note

xxx xxx

is in tune to the new target pitch.

You will note now that the note fingered

xxx xxo

is flat so

4) carve out Hole 6 until that note is in tune to the new target pitch.

Now only the note fingered

xxx xoo

will be flat so

5) carve out Hole 5 to the new target pitch.

Put simply
1) remove head
2) chop top
3) chop bottom
4) carve hole 6
5) carve hole 5.

You want to do it in that order.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

I have a syn whistle with a B tube but the bore size is only 1/2 an inch on the inside so it is not an optimal bore. I use it because that is the only one I have.

Here is a whistle maker that you don't hear about much but his work and prices are excellent.

http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/

Cheers,
Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Alaricus

Post by Alaricus »

Thanks Richard and Nate!

Alberto Z 'Alaricus'
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

I have a Sindt in B and it's a grand whistle. Wouldn't part with it.

Cayden☘️
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

Cayden, maybe you should dust it off and post a sound clip of your awesome Sindt whistle!!
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Alaricus

Post by Alaricus »

Mr.Nate, I totally agree in asking kindly to Cayden to post a soundclip of his B Sindt!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Alberto,

FYI, if you are looking for something to match a B chanter, just be aware that most B chanters are flat of "true" B (ie B relative to A440). My experience has been that carving the toneholes was not required, but all three whistles are in tune to this flatter B, and that may be why. If you're trying to get up to B at A440, then you may need to carve toneholes, too.

BTW, the "A" fingering on my B set comes out around 363-366 hertz, so I like to say they're an A366 instrument.