celtic pop

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

celtic pop

Post by bcullen »

There's a thread on Uilleann. Celtic Pink Floydddd

The band I am in play a set with versions of Hey Jude, Hey Jude hornpipe and Rocky road to Dublin (Dedanan but different) we toyed with Brick in the wall and Smoke on the water "Yuk" It would be interesting to hear if others have made sets up from iconic pop songs. Please share them so I can steel away

1 set: Sailing, Captain Pugwash, Drowsey Maggie

For the person who was interested in the Indian luv song:

2 set Indian love song, I am a Lumberjack Hornpipe, Oh Rose Marie slow reel
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: celtic pop

Post by benhall.1 »

I sometimes end a set of waltzes by putting, after Margaret's Waltz, How Much is That Doggie in the Window. Oh yes.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

There was one Trad band I was in where we also did covers to spice things up (or offend the audience, depending on your point of view). Since we had a singer, when we did pop songs they were done whole hog, sometimes as part of a tune set, sometimes not. You haven't lived until you've heard White Rabbit done on cittern, uilleann pipes, banjo and snare bodhrán, the singer wearing shades and belting out "Feed your head!" with beer aloft. And in case you're wondering: Yeah, you bet we totally kicked Grace Slick's ass. With permission.

Others: Fields of Gold, The Boxer, Norwegian Wood, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Heartbreak Hotel, and more. We wanted to do Lola, but the vocal acrobatics proved too much for our poor singer. Oh, and Danny Boy works really well in 12/8 Doo-Wop style, by the way. It's a wonder that we had any time for actual Trad at all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

When I am practicing a popish type tune will just find its way to my fingers and its like comic relief and I
am off on a tangent.

We used to do a beat up of Old Shep. But would have to read the audience because some would be right into it
and not a dry eye in the house.

Danny Boy and Old Shep Yes folks its wrist slashing music time
Bryan
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

bcullen wrote:When I am practicing a popish type tune will just find its way to my fingers
Careful... CCCP #4 (Politics and religion)! :P
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

Free speech

Wasn't CCCCP some sort of Russian acronym

I repent my fingers are on their last warning
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I was just about to get all aereated ... and then ... ah! POP ... ish.

:thumbsup: :)

While we're on the subject, what's all this about free speech? Has someone suggested it? The public needs to know.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:There was one Trad band I was in where we also did covers to spice things up (or offend the audience, depending on your point of view). Since we had a singer, when we did pop songs they were done whole hog, sometimes as part of a tune set, sometimes not. You haven't lived until you've heard White Rabbit done on cittern, uilleann pipes, banjo and snare bodhrán, the singer wearing shades and belting out "Feed your head!" with beer aloft. And in case you're wondering: Yeah, you bet we totally kicked Grace Slick's ass. With permission.

Others: Fields of Gold, The Boxer, Norwegian Wood, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Heartbreak Hotel, and more. We wanted to do Lola, but the vocal acrobatics proved too much for our poor singer. Oh, and Danny Boy works really well in 12/8 Doo-Wop style, by the way. It's a wonder that we had any time for actual Trad at all.
Danny Boy is begging for a reggae rendering.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

bcullen wrote:There's a thread on Uilleann. Celtic Pink Floydddd

The band I am in play a set with versions of Hey Jude, Hey Jude hornpipe and Rocky road to Dublin (Dedanan but different) we toyed with Brick in the wall and Smoke on the water "Yuk" It would be interesting to hear if others have made sets up from iconic pop songs. Please share them so I can steel away

1 set: Sailing, Captain Pugwash, Drowsey Maggie

For the person who was interested in the Indian luv song:

2 set Indian love song, I am a Lumberjack Hornpipe, Oh Rose Marie slow reel
But do you have a sequined jacket for the Indian Love Song?
It's full tilt or nothin!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
john

Post by john »

reggae Danny Boy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt7YXC6NpAU

also, there's a british band called paddy rasta who play tunes and songs against a reggae backing
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

reggae Danny Boy:
Oh dear is nothing sacred.

Why oh why in the Indian love song is the singer calling for "Hugh" Its that Lumberjack again :wink: :wink: nudge nudge
Canadian Mounties in sequined jackets "cute"
Bryan
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Used to do "Crazy Train" with one group. Came up with a decent B part and it was fun to do. Nice topic!