Bench test

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bench test

Post by bcullen »

I am finding it a real pain to check regulators that I am making for leaks and tuning the regs and drones. So I have bought a cheap
electric air bed pump ebay and am hoping it will be nice and quiet. I will air lock it to the Valve stock using the pump switch to control the air flow. This I am hoping will allow me to bench test and tune without getting tied in knots . Does anyone know or have tried a similar gizmo and what would be the pitfalls. Would the psi be strong enough? If all it can do is help tune regulators it will be a++++++

"ideas that don't work are better than none at all"
daveboling

Re: Bench test

Post by daveboling »

You might try taking a cue from Highland pipers. They will use a manometer plumbed into their pipes to measure blowing/bag pressure. Once you determine the normal pressure range (don't forget to check both octaves), you can look for a pump that delivers the range you need, if you decide it is worth the trouble.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

I have mouth blown each regulator and I get a rough idea of pitch so I am of the opinion that it shouldn't take to much
pressure to get a response from regs and drones. I am not going to be concerned with the chanter as it is not really a pain to
work with so the second octave is not a real issue. But the others are a nightmare so i am trying to come up with a hands free
method or bellow, bag, free one. Just to get within a bulls roar of pitch would be good enough as I can then just move the slides to get an overall matching ambience or temperance of sound

I am about to look up what that meter is

The boy stood on the burning deck
Melting in the heat
His sad brown eyes full of tears
His shoes were full of feet
Milligan

Cheers
Richard Evans

Post by Richard Evans »

As a pro Northumbrian pipemaker, I have used something a bit like this. I use the air supply from my workshop compressor, fed through a regulator of the type used for bottled propane gas. This can be set at the required pressure. Your smaller pump probably won't work well without some type of reserve tank and a similar regulator.
Having said that, the system is very useful from time to time.

Richard
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

I use the air supply from my workshop compressor,
Yeah I gave this a thought and also a powerful blower but the noise was off putting. What I am relying on is the stock valve
to build up the pressure and the on/off switch to give me some control I would expect the pump to have a none return valve (or I will fit one) and my thinking is: If the pump can inflate an air bed to a degree that it can take a persons weight it should allow a reasonable passage of air to the keys and reeds individually. A foot pump operation was another option. Or even a mouth blown tube with a none return valve.
As long as I can avoid the constant messing around with straps, and contraptions. Whatever the outcome the outlay is very small in dollar terms and might be worth the effort
Bryan
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

bcullen

Post by bcullen »

Very technical, some great ideas. I have an airless spray gun puts out 3000psi might be a bit harsh. I can adapt some of the ideas
I am not really concerned about reeds apart from the drone ones which are not as variable. If I can work out a rig to check air leeks in regulator keys and joints and the same with drones I will be a happy man. It is as I have said the constant dismanteling and putting back together that is annoying and time consuming. The setup was recorded in 2011 I wonder what the setup looks like now?
Thank you very much for the post Calum it gives me hope
Bryan