Uilleann pipes case question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
An Draighean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Uilleann pipes case question

Post by An Draighean »

Flutulator wrote:I have a Nanuk hard plastic case that I use for telescope equipment. (Eyepieces and such.)

Would something like this be overkill?

https://www.hardcases.ca/collections/na ... /nanuk-990
Nothing is overkill, when it comes to an expensive set of pipes - but did you notice in the specs that that case weighs 18 lbs.? Most people will get tired of lugging that around very far. I have two cases very similar to that for different sets of pipes, but only use them for storage and shipping now because they are so heavy. They are pretty much bomb-proof though. And you will never be able to carry that on an airplane - much too large.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!
I have been using a simple Negrini recurve bow and arrow hard case for about $30 to carry my half set around town.
Has done the job and the only thing I need to dismantle is the connector tube on my bellows.

For something more sturdy I've been looking at the rounded SKB tripod case (1SKB-H4812W). Nice size and shape to fit a full set with bellows and extras.
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ ... =150&s=147

Here is one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKB-48x10-1SKB- ... 1215635143

/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
eskin

Post by eskin »

I bought a cheap Gator fiddle case and tore out the internal foam in about 10 seconds for my 3/4 set. It's been great. I don't think I'd trust it to check it as baggage, but it's a great carry-on case.

It's this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Deluxe-Ful ... iddle+case
Flutulator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

I believe K & Q use cases like this for their sets. Mountain dulcimer case. Good proportions and does not look like a gun.

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/cas ... r-case.htm
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
Calum

Post by Calum »

eskin wrote: I don't think I'd trust it to check it as baggage, but it's a great carry-on case.
Given that any carry-on case can be taken from you at any time and stowed in the hold, this isn't an approach I'd encourage. Being willing to walk off the plane isn't necessarily enough, either, because it can be perceived as a security issue.
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

For those who use a viola case: is there any problem to fit the bellows into your bag? Could you give some inner and outer dimensions of your viola cases that you've found usable?
I'm about to purchase a viola case, and I'm pondering whether to buy a cheap bag to try out with and then upgrade to a better one if it's a fit, or go straight away to a more sturdy (and more pricey) one..
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Hooleh wrote:For those who use a viola case: is there any problem to fit the bellows into your bag?
No; I leave the blow pipe on mine and put the bellows in sideways in one corner. The case is deep enough for them to fit.

Hooleh wrote:Could you give some inner and outer dimensions of your viola cases that you've found usable?
Unfortunately, I'm in the process of moving, and though the case hasn't moved yet, my measuring tape has, sorry!

Hooleh wrote:I'm about to purchase a viola case, and I'm pondering whether to buy a cheap bag to try out with and then upgrade to a better one if it's a fit, or go straight away to a more sturdy (and more pricey) one..
If it helps, here's the one I bought (as recommended to me by another piper/chiff member):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-15-green-or- ... 2370ac0215
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

Hrrrm.

What would be the minimum of interior length for a case for transporting a half set with a minimal amount of deconstruction and hassle?
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

An Draighean wrote:If it helps, here's the one I bought (as recommended to me by another piper/chiff member):

Looks nice, but it's a bit pricey for my budget. I've been looking some medium-decent ones at under 100 euros. What's more, I'd really like the case to have shoulder straps so I could carry it while cycling.
An Draighean wrote:No; I leave the blow pipe on mine and put the bellows in sideways in one corner. The case is deep enough for them to fit.
Do you think there's any significant downside in carrying the bellows in a tighter bag so that they're pressed "closed" for a long period of time?
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Hooleh wrote:
An Draighean wrote:If it helps, here's the one I bought (as recommended to me by another piper/chiff member):

Looks nice, but it's a bit pricey for my budget. I've been looking some medium-decent ones at under 100 euros. What's more, I'd really like the case to have shoulder straps so I could carry it while cycling.
If it makes a difference, that one comes with a shoulder strap.
Hooleh wrote:
An Draighean wrote:No; I leave the blow pipe on mine and put the bellows in sideways in one corner. The case is deep enough for them to fit.
Do you think there's any significant downside in carrying the bellows in a tighter bag so that they're pressed "closed" for a long period of time?
No.
Paul Patrick

Post by Paul Patrick »

This thread is quite helpful.

Two quick questions for those of you using archery/rifle/shotgun cases: 1) did you retain the foam/egg carton padding or strip it out? and 2). are you carrying the bellows in the case? The ones I've looked at seem to have OD widths of 3-4 inches, which seems too narrow for bellows.

Thanks!
Paul
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Paul Patrick wrote:Two quick questions for those of you using archery/rifle/shotgun cases: 1) did you retain the foam/egg carton padding or strip it out?
The two I bought had three layers of foam in them; I traced the outline of the bits and pieces of my set(s) as I wanted them to lay in the case on the middle piece of foam, then used an electric meat-carving knife to cut out the foam. In some cases (bellows and regulator keys) I had to partially carve-out the lower and upper pieces of foam too.

Paul Patrick wrote:2). are you carrying the bellows in the case? The ones I've looked at seem to have OD widths of 3-4 inches, which seems too narrow for bellows.
Yes; the cases I bought (from Cabela's, since you are in the U.S.) have about 6" of depth.

I will say again, these cases would likely survive a nuclear apocalypse, but are HEAVY to lug around. I used one to ship a full set of pipes via UPS and they survived outbound and inbound with no damage whatsoever.
Paul Patrick

Post by Paul Patrick »

Thanks An Draighean.
Paul Patrick

Post by Paul Patrick »

(A quick follow-up to add to the collective body of potential case information)

I've ended up with a fly rod case for now:

https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Reel-Com ... +Combo+Bag

I wanted something quickly that didn't require deconstruction, and for the foreseeable future I only need it for home use and driving to my lessons, so I decided to wait on the rifle and viola cases described above.

It's 33" x10" X 5", padded, with short cross-dividers that are removable, and a long central "spine" divider is attached at the base but the sides are velcroed, so it can be folded down but not removed. This holds a half set comfortably (with the removal of the base drone slider). The central spine helps keep things from jostling around too much. The mesh pockets in the lid are just big enough to hold a standard D whistle. Cost was $50 from amazon (I'm in the US).

It's quite light to carry, which is handy. I wouldn't want to use it for heavy travel, but it's stiffly padded enough to provide a measure of basic protection (although note that several rod cases I looked at were just nylon covers with no padding, so be sure to check the description details if you're considering such cases). Having only had it a couple of weeks, I can't say yet whether it's well-made enough to last for a while, but I'm pleased with it for now.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I've been carrying a half set in one of those fly rod cases for years and it has worked perfectly. It also fits a 3/4 set, but the jury is out on whether or not it will fit a full set.

Do people fit full sets into viola or also sax cases?