Keyless chanters - Yes or No?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: Keyless chanters - Yes or No?

Post by tommykleen »

Aldwyn wrote:I just ordered a half set from Kirk Lynch... without keys!

I figured, I could always have Kirk add keys later if I want... I am assuming that is an option?
Well...who can see the future? It is my understanding that a chanter voiced without keys and with keys is a different process. That's to say adding the keys may change the voicing/tuning.

I wish Kirk (and all pipemakers) rich (i.e., wealthy -or at least- well off), long and productively lives! They are very rare and special folk. But everyone retires at some point. And then you will have to shop the chanter around to another pipemaker who may -or may not- be willing to work on another maker's craft.

If you are ever seeing the need for keys, I'd get them now. It also enhances the worth of the instrument for future sale. I would not buy a keyless chanter...for sure not one missing C and Fnat keys.

tk
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Aldwyn
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Post by Aldwyn »

Too late for me... Kirk had the practice set out to me in just a few weeks, so they are already in my hot little hands.

The drones, though, wont be ready for 5 or 6 months. Since I have the send the bag back to him for that anyway, I suppose I could always send the chanter as well to get a key or two added if I feel like I want that at the time.
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint
chrisanpiobaire
Tell us something.: I have been playing the uilleann pipes for about 10 years and reading this forum for awhile and recently saw a post that I wanted to reply to. I have also recently decided (probably imprudently) to get into reed making and this forum will be a useful way to collaborate with other pipers.

Post by chrisanpiobaire »

I have 4 keys on my chanter and use them all (C, Bb, G#, and F). I recently started playing with a band that does a lot of fiddle tunes in A and songs in E and I think without the keys I would probably be playing an E whistle a lot more. I don't use them too often in a session or when playing pipe tunes, but when I do need them, I'm glad they're there. The pipes can be very fickle, and having more options of how to finger a note can be a very helpful way to tune notes without having to touch the reed. A quick word about the C natural key, I know it's meant primarily for the second octave, but I've also found it really useful in tunes with quick B-C-B passages (i.e. the BallyDesmond Polka)