Drone stability

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Drone stability

Post by bcullen »

Hi I am graduating to drones and my question is: Is there a method to keep the drones in position I find myself spending to much effort keeping the drones on the lap/knee and moving the chanter around to compensate. I am wondering if my bag is set up correctly
any tips will be welcome even super glue
daveboling

Re: Drone stability

Post by daveboling »

Look at the position of your leg that the drones rest on. Is it level, or is your chair too high and your leg slopes downward from the hip to the knee?
Next, try shifting your bag slightly forward. As the bag is inflated, does it try to point the drones away from your desired position?

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

You could try tying some string around the mainstock that loops around your bag shoulder. That should keep them elevated and a bit more stable
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

Thanks . There seems to be a critical height for the right leg I might get one of those gizmos Classical Guitarist use an adjustable foot rest . Just another item to carry around. I tried a jocky strap from jeans belt loop to the bass drone, worked but felt a bit awkward. Looking at the full sets the bass regulator reed cap seems to fit snug into the arm. Might help when I get the regulators finished.
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

It must be that your knee is a bit low. The foot rest sounds one idea, perhaps slip a couple of books under your foot to try it out first?

I find the biggest problem is caused by the bag gradually slipping downwards and forwards out of position - the shoulder strap mentioned above should cure that. I suppose the other thing to think about is that the drones should sit in a way where the regs (when you get to them) will fall easily under the lower hand / wrist. Part of the problem is that due to the wide range of postures and proportions you see people with all kinds of drone and chanter angles.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I didn't have a problem with 1/2 sets and moving drones, but I definitely encountered that issue with my full set. Like others have mentioned, I've found a shoulder strap to help greatly. I can imagine eventually removing the strap once I get more used to positioning the bag with the extra weight of the regs. Using a leather popping strap and placing it also under the drones helps keep the drones in place as well.
Life is good.
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

Establishing correct posture early on is really key. The point was made earlier to check your chair height which may be too high. You left leg should be at about 11 o'clock with your knee at about 90 degrees, your right leg around 2 o'clock with the knee bent so the foot is underneath you. This will help with the drone position and if and when you start playing regulators you'll be ready to start. One method of playing regulators is to start out with your hand over the third row of regulator keys and then moving that right leg to move the keys of the regs underneath your bottom hand.

Obviously not everyone does this and you'll see a wide variety of postures but this method is a good one to look at and will help your future playing.
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

Thanks one and all for the input. I now have a posture and aids that allow me a modicum of stability.I think the main problem now is I can play a particular tune very well without drones. The same tune is a bit wobbly with drones. So it is a matter of perseverance "same old same old.... :swear:
Thanks
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

Devised a simple method: Velcro around one of the bass drone pipes and sit on the strap or tuck it in a pocket. No strain and I can
concentrate without worrying if the drones will slip.

Watching some players and the drones/regs defy gravity

Is it gravity or does the Earth suck
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

bcullen wrote:Is it gravity or does the Earth suck
It's the Universe, I'm afraid.