Where do you learn to play fujara and koncovka?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
BobRychlik
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am performer and teacher of fujara and koncovka overtone flutes. The koncovka sound and way of playing is identical to Scandinavian overtone flutes (salgdlojt, Seljefloyte, pajupillij) and I would like to promote dialogue and exchange of ideas between players of overtone flutes in Scandinavia and Slovakia and other Slavic countries. I am also organizer of fujara and overtone flutes festivals, and workshops and would like to find out about similar events in other countries.
Bob Rychlík.

Where do you learn to play fujara and koncovka?

Post by BobRychlik »

There are just a few places to learn to play fujara and koncovka overtone flutes. Is there one in your county or close by?
We could share the information about workshops and classes in the world here.

Here is information about the USA:

If you live in USA and would like to learn to play both fujara and koncovka in one week and get a koncovka in the class, watch this video and tell me if you don't agree that fujara sound is not out of this world?
http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/ ... story.html
Both fujara and short koncovka are very easy to play, and you could learn to play them as well, no music experience in necessary. The class is available just once in a year in summer,.
Following information is for 2017 :
The summer classes will start in 6 months,
Pick one of the following:
the Traditions Week 1: June 26 - 30, 2017
or
the Traditions Week 2: July 3 - 7, 2017
and pick the course (Beginner, or Advanced)
Thank you, and please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. This will be the 7th year of the popular course, let's make it the best ever!
Bob Rychlik - you can contact me for more information here: fujara@gmail.com
P.S. The Festival will be following after Week 2, on Saturday July 8th, 2017.
At the link bellow, there are still dates and information from 2016, it will be updated in early 2017, and by that time I need to know which week would you prefer:
http://www.commongroundonthehill.org/index.html
Jim B.

Re: Where do you learn to play fujara and koncovka?

Post by Jim B. »

I attended Bob's class last year. He is very enthusiastic about Slovak overtone flutes and is a bright, kind and interesting man.
Most of the students never heard of the koncovka and fujara before taking the class. By the end of the week, we were all on
stage in front of the whole camp, improvising blues solos on the koncovka and accompanying Bob playing "Amazing Grace", all
of us on fujara. The camp is held on the campus of McDaniel College in Westminster, Maryland. It's a lovely campus, the housing
is fine (student dorms), and the cafeteria was very impressive. I got a chance to pursue classes for violin, Irish tenor banjo and
mandolin also. Take a look at the course selection, which covers many nonmusical arts and interests including storytelling, bicycling,
photography and pysanki (Ukrainian egg decorating). Having five days of lessons under my belt, I'm registered for this summer,
and will be taking the advanced class.
The koncovka is an inexpensive and interesting instrument, and is so easy to carry to class! It seemed to be the primary
interest of the students in last summer's class. Bob has plenty of both instruments for students to use for the class, and can sell students
a nice koncovka at a good price if they so desire. I am hoping to have my own fujara to bring to class this summer. Bob teaches a
nice variety of songs, both traditional Slovak and more familiar American songs.
The fujara and koncovka classes are being offered during the second week of the camp (first week of July).
BobRychlik
Tell us something.: I am performer and teacher of fujara and koncovka overtone flutes. The koncovka sound and way of playing is identical to Scandinavian overtone flutes (salgdlojt, Seljefloyte, pajupillij) and I would like to promote dialogue and exchange of ideas between players of overtone flutes in Scandinavia and Slovakia and other Slavic countries. I am also organizer of fujara and overtone flutes festivals, and workshops and would like to find out about similar events in other countries.
Bob Rychlík.

Re: Where do you learn to play fujara and koncovka?

Post by BobRychlik »

Hi, I have to update information about the course in my original post. There will be 2 overtone flute classes this year, both in second week of July (3 -7), one class for absolute beginners (no music experience necessary), and the other class for intermediate / advanced (which will be formed mostly by my students from the beginner classes of past years).
I am looking forward to the magic week again and to all my students.
Bob.