Trying out pipe and tabor - Susato?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
bigsciota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Trying out pipe and tabor - Susato?

Post by bigsciota »

I'm interested in the pipe and tabor and would like to try it out. Already a whistle and flute player among many other instruments, so I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive but not crap.

I see that Susato has a pipe and tabor combo that would come to around $70 with shipping. Anyone have experience with their pipes and tabors? Never played any of their whistles but know they're generally regarded as good quality.

Also, if anyone has a pipe and/or tabor laying around they'd like to unload, PM me. I'm in the US (MA) if that matters.
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Trying out pipe and tabor - Susato?

Post by jadphoto »

bigsciota wrote:I'm interested in the pipe and tabor and would like to try it out. Already a whistle and flute player among many other instruments, so I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive but not crap.

I see that Susato has a pipe and tabor combo that would come to around $70 with shipping. Anyone have experience with their pipes and tabors? Never played any of their whistles but know they're generally regarded as good quality.

Also, if anyone has a pipe and/or tabor laying around they'd like to unload, PM me. I'm in the US (MA) if that matters.
Well...I thought you'd get more response(s) by now.

To date I have zero experience, but have ordered one of the Susato tabor pipe kits that you mention. It won't arrive for a couple of days so we'll see.

I do have several Susato whistles and they're pretty decent instruments (not without their quirks however) so I have hopes that it will be adequate to learn on.

I do some Ren Fairs with a harper (whistles, recorders and percussion) so I thought the tabor pipe might be fun to add to the mix.

You might get more answers/suggestions over on the Recorder Forum. Lot's of folks over there are into music earlier than the Baroque so there must be someone doing Tabor & Pipes.

There is also a British web site for the Pipe and Tabor Society. I found lots of information over there. For example, I had no idea that Generation and Dixon both make Tabor Pipes. Look just like their whistles but with only three holes.

You can also search YouTube for Morris Dancing and you'll find lots of Tabor Pipe playing.

Good luck, it's nice to know I'm not the only one fascinated by odd stuff. :poke:

JD
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

OK...Tabor and Pipe arrived today.

Got the Susato in C from the Kelischek Music workshop. It plays great but after an hour I opted for the same one in A. Previous suggestions that the C pipe was shrill were spot on. Just ask my two mini-Aussies. :puppyeyes:

Other than that I think that'll be fun.

It did take a couple of minutes to figure out that the first C was the second harmonic (the octave) as the harmonic series is octave then the fifth.

BTW, the drum that came with the kit isn't half bad.

JD
Chifmunk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

bigsciota wrote: Also, if anyone has a pipe and/or tabor laying around they'd like to unload, PM me. I'm in the US (MA) if that matters.
Hi, I have a hardly used Susato 2-piece brown/cream "S-series" tabor pipe in key of G that I'd be happy to sell. It's a little over 17" total length and being in G it's not high or shrill. It doesn't have a clip-on plastic thumb rest Susato sells, but it's in otherwise like-new condition. I can also sell you the Dick Bagwell 59 page green Pipe & Tabor instruction book with (unplayed) CD. See Susato's prices for all here: http://www.susato.com/konakart/Tabor-Pi ... 8_-1_30.do and I'd sell you them for lower- just send me a message note. I'm in NY near the border of MA close-ish to Pittsfield. I recommend their 9 inch tabor drum highly as well. I want to keep my drum though...handy for marches and parades!

I enjoyed my tabor/pipe playing for a bit, but then I got into penny whistle and am all involved with that now instead.
Let me know if you're interested.

I find the logic and system of the tabor pipe and drum to be fascinating! One does have to get the hang of holding the pipe with the last two fingers while playing the holes with the first three digits, but if 'I' could manage it with my small hands after a bunch of practice, I think most folks could.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers