What is the title of this jig?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
alter_ego
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm very interested in Celtic Music. I'm a musician from Portugal and I'm doing a paper for a class in world music for my Master.

What is the title of this jig?

Post by alter_ego »

Hi everyone!

I'm a music student from Portugal and I'm doing some basic research about irish tradicional music. I didn't know almost anything about it, and now I still don't, but I can talk for some minutes about it and appear to know something! :D

I'm focusing on two well known styles, reel and jig, and listening to some tunes. I found the following example of a jig played by irish and scottish musicians. Does anyone know what tune is it? Is it tradicional? Maybe it's scottish rather than irish, I don't really know.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks07eFqIsRQ&t=48s

Thanks for your time!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: What is the title of this jig?

Post by benhall.1 »

Welcome to the forums! I don't know the tune, although it sounds as if it's probably a modern, Scottish tune to me. Is that Phil Cunningham on the piano?
alter_ego
Tell us something.: I'm very interested in Celtic Music. I'm a musician from Portugal and I'm doing a paper for a class in world music for my Master.

Post by alter_ego »

Any reason why it sounds modern and Scottish?
I don't know about the pianist...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Is that Phil Cunningham on the piano?
Yep.
alter_ego wrote:Any reason why it sounds modern and Scottish?
Getting into subtle stuff here, and it's often hard to explain. There are many things that come together to make these styles what they are. And it's not just the tunes; playing style is part of it too. You develop an ear over time if you listen to both, but it's more like a gut feeling. I like to think I can tell Scottish from Irish, and I've been known to nail it, but I've been wrong, too, especially if the tunes are from Donegal or Sliabh Luachra. But to date I've usually been able to tell a Shetland tune from a mile away. :)

From my American perspective I see the Irish and Scottish traditions as being closely related indeed, but once you hear the difference, these traditions are not at all identical. Spend years playing solely in the Irish idiom and then get thrown into a Scottish context, and you will learn this firsthand and in no uncertain terms. The casual Yank listener usually hears no difference between them, so I like to say that the difference between Scottish and Irish trad is that where one zigs, the other zags. :wink:

As to whether it's modern, there's that ear and gut feeling thing again. I think that Ben is likely right on both counts - Scottish and modern - on the basis of what I've been hearing out of newer compositions of that ilk. I don't know the tunes in the vid myself, so for now I'm going with that.

What is certain is that you can confidently rely on the likes of Julie Fowlis, and those she plays with, for good examples to follow.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
alter_ego

Post by alter_ego »

Many thanks to both! I hope to lear a lot in this forum.

In the meantime, if anyone knows something more about the tune, please share!
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

It's called "The Oblique" played in Bm

https://thesession.org/tunes/11331#setting24004
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Flexismart wrote:It's called "The Oblique" played in Bm

Okay, so the jig's Irish. But still new.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Flexismart wrote:It's called "The Oblique" played in Bm

Okay, so the jig's Irish. But still new.
I'm surprised at that. OTOH, it sounds really quite similar (to my ear) to Muireann's jig, another Niall Vallely composition, so I suppose I should have known.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Anyone know the reel?

So much for thinking I know anything about tunes... :oops:
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"Dolina MacKay"
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

PS - if you need sheet music for it, get it from a pipe tune collection, not "thesession.org". My recommendation.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"