Tapered bore

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Old Dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tapered bore

Post by Old Dog »

What are supposed to be the advantages of a whistle with a tapered bore over one with a straight bore?
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tapered bore

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Better tuning of the octaves and more equal spacing/sizing of the finger holes.
My brain hurts

Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Better tuning of the octaves and more equal spacing/sizing of the finger holes.
... also, comparing my Generation C to my Moeck descant recorder (with it's tapered bore), the finger-holes can be closer together. Probably no big deal on a "normal" whistle, but might make a difference on a low D, for instance.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Kypfer wrote:comparing my Generation C to my Moeck descant recorder (with it's tapered bore), the finger-holes can be closer together.
Probably not the best comparison because:
1. A descant recorder's equivalent to a D whistle in terms of 'six-finger' note.
2. Other factors of bore size (as well as shape) and wall thickness may also affect the spacing.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Even so, Peter, my understanding is that conical bore instruments in general do have holes which are closer together than equivalently pitched cylindrical bore instruments. Is this not correct?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Sure. It's just that the proof offered was based on an erroneous assumption.

Did you ever read Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books? If so, you might remember the 'proof' that copper was gold from Pigeon Post?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:Sure. It's just that the proof offered was based on an erroneous assumption.
Fair enough.
Peter Duggan wrote:Did you ever read Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books? If so, you might remember the 'proof' that copper was gold from Pigeon Post?
No, I'm afraid I haven't. It's funny, but somehow, whenever I've looked at what they're about, they just haven't appealed enough to make me read them.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Kypfer wrote:comparing my Generation C to my Moeck descant recorder (with it's tapered bore), the finger-holes can be closer together.
Probably not the best comparison because:
1. A descant recorder's equivalent to a D whistle in terms of 'six-finger' note.
2. Other factors of bore size (as well as shape) and wall thickness may also affect the spacing.
Sorry about that ... you're right of course, poor choice of instruments. I should have written "comparing my Generation C to my Clarke C (with it's tapered bore) ..."
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I was just gifted 2 beautiful calura whistles, one painted red in B, the other painted grey in C, both with gold accents/lettering. With a wee bit of adjusting the fipple, the C is sounding nice. The seam on the back is a locking seam, different from a clarke. It appears to have been finished with a grooving machine of some sort that was designed specifically for this purpose. The seam was definitely set down with a wheel though. I can't wait to try cloning one. They are way too pretty to take apart though, so I will have to measure and trace for my template. Do any of our German members perhaps have any info on the company, Calura? They seem to have been making whistles in several keys.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

nicx66 wrote:I was just gifted 2 beautiful calura whistles, one painted red in B, the other painted grey in C, both with gold accents/lettering. With a wee bit of adjusting the fipple, the C is sounding nice. The seam on the back is a locking seam, different from a clarke. It appears to have been finished with a grooving machine of some sort that was designed specifically for this purpose. The seam was definitely set down with a wheel though. I can't wait to try cloning one. They are way too pretty to take apart though, so I will have to measure and trace for my template. Do any of our German members perhaps have any info on the company, Calura? They seem to have been making whistles in several keys.
I've read that Caluras, among other German made whistles, were manufactured by Gretch. Can indeed be very nice whistles!

If you're into cloning them, they do show up relatively cheaply on Ebay.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373