Video: Set of jigs on Barna Gabos Eb Bamboo

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
vermichou
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Video: Set of jigs on Barna Gabos Eb Bamboo

Post by vermichou »

Hi folks,

Quick recording with a Bamboo Flute made by Barna Gabos, in Eb. It's a cracker, it sounds very good, and it's very reasonably priced. I was impressed when I first got it.

Hope you like it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRfPs3t6uF0

Michel
paddler

Re: Video: Set of jigs on Barna Gabos Eb Bamboo

Post by paddler »

I like the way the flute sounds, and more to the point, I like the way you play it. Very nice job!

I was interested to see that your flute is made from a section of bamboo that has two nodes. Its quite tricky to make a good sounding flute from a bamboo section that spans more than one node, because of the way the natural bore of bamboo tapers toward the nodes. On the other hand, its also difficult to find sections of bamboo with an internode distance long enough to make an Eb or D flute without incorporating a node in the body section or foot. So, I take this as more evidence that Barna has mastered the challenges of machining and boring bamboo to meet flute specifications.
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

Cheers paddler!

I agree, this flute is a truly great player, and given the price, I'll probably end up with the whole scale given the quality of the instrument :)
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

vermichou wrote:Cheers paddler!

I agree, this flute is a truly great player, and given the price, I'll probably end up with the whole scale given the quality of the instrument :)
Have you compared them to Olwell's bamboo flutes?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think bamboo/cane flutes for ITM are under-rated. They sound very good, they are very expressive,
and they are light and reasonably inexpensive. I see them as a competitive option with some of the best flutes made. Yes, very well played!
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Tres Bien! :thumbsup:
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

Funny you mention Olwell, I literally just received an Olwell D bamboo (yesterday).

First impression is it's definitely not as easy as Barna's flute. My embouchure is not that bad, but I haven't figured out the Olwell yet. Barna's flute is a breeze next to it.