penny whistle inside coffeepot - a clown instrument - help!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nwhitmer
antispam: No

penny whistle inside coffeepot - a clown instrument - help!

Post by nwhitmer »

I have found at least three references to vaudeville performers playing tunes on "the coffeepot." Back in the 2nd half of the 19th century. The best description I have seen of it is from Francis O'Neill's Irish Minstrels and Musicians, p. 261:

"On the stage [of his saloon in New York City, circa 1890, Thomas F.] Kerrigan played the pipes to the accompaniment of a piano from four to six o'clock every afternoon. He varied this, however, with an occasional tune on the "coffeepot." This clown instrument consists of a tall, rather slim coffeepot, with a teapot-like spout on the side. Holes are punched in the tin opposite the spout, to correspond with the holes of a tin flageolet soldered within. The player blows through the spout, and fingers the tune on the holes in the coffeepot."

Has anyone ever seen one of these contraptions? Heard about them? Know any more about them? Sharing this info would be deeply appreciated.

I'd like one, and was thinking about making one. The more I thought about how to actually design and construct one the more complicated it got.

Regards,

Nick Whitmer
Ithaca, NY
nicx66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Re: penny whistle inside coffeepot - a clown instrument - he

Post by nicx66 »

While I have never seen one of these, I can imagine what it would (roughly) looked like. I took a tin-smithing class that I would highly recommend. Introduction to tin-smithing (or tin 1). Classes just wrapped up for the year, but are given at Historic Eastfield Village (rennselaer county) every year from June- August. In tin 1, you make a coffee pot as well as 4 or five other objects throughout the week. The coffee pot is the last object you make in the class, as it is the most complicated. My teacher was kind enough to help me reverse engineer a tin whistle, which I did in my free time. I will ask him if he has ever seen one of these contraptions. Feel free to contact me for any more info. I have had difficulty posting pictures here, otherwise I would show you some of the ideas I had.

Nick Lawler
Coeymans, NY
Last edited by nicx66 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

Sounds similar to an ocarina
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

Seems like a lot of work for a novelty/laugh instrument,but let us know when/if you unveil it publicly.

Greetings from Seneca St!
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

I use to play my friends hall china teapot
as a trumpet. Another variation was to
play the overtone series with a bass dulcian
reed and bocal stuck in the spout.
Not quite the same as a whistle of course.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Reading that description a second time, it seems likely that it's just an old tin whistle (like a clarke), actually soldered inside - so the "coffee pot" is just a shell around the whistle. Likely there's a tube or something soldered down to the fipple to direct the air to the tinwhistle. You could use a rubber hose for instance...

Extrapolating, you could fit all of Packie Manus Byrne's bagpipe-whistle inside a suitably sized contraption... that'd be interesting!
nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

Thanks everyone for your observations & insights.

A friend sent me this image of a postcard. He found the image on the Web, on a site based in the United Kingdom which tracks recent auction sales. I know nothing else about the postcard (date, origin, etc.).

This is pretty much what I expected the coffeepot to look like. I cannot deny that the clowns creep me out a little bit.

Nick

Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Wow that clown on the left looks like he's got a whistle attached to a boot jack...? Krazy stuff, those clowns!
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

I made a few prototypes from large tin cans; proof of concept. Then a friend, Nick Lawler, made a working coffeepot. Here is a link to a video of me playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXGlGW-NTs

And a link to such historical info as I have found about the instrument:

http://www.whitmerpipes.com/coffeepot.html

Nick
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Very nice, I enjoyed the coffeepot video very much! :D
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Definitely funny, and good, too!
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

Nick's recordings on his prototypes amazed me and inspired us both. Hearing the jigs played that way reminded me of early Furey brothers recordings where percussion included sheet iron/spoons/ tin beer trays, etc. When I saw Nick's full set of Taylor bagpipes that he lovingly restored to their full potential, I knew that we could make the coffee-pot. Building it presented a whole set of challenges, using period-correct tools, but we found our way. I still hold out hope that an original one is floating around somewhere.
Last edited by nicx66 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chifmunk wrote:Wow that clown on the left looks like he's got a whistle attached to a boot jack...?
The most utterly unlikely of the three, isn't it.

Great job on reproducing the coffeepot whistle! Although I keep telling myself, But it doesn't sound like a coffepot... (whatever that means :boggle:).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Have you tried playing that in the car
steering with yer knee like the old days?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
awildman

Post by awildman »

Not my cup of tea. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't think of any coffee tunes.