D Mixolydian

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
de Salier
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

D Mixolydian

Post by de Salier »

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity;
It is always said that a D whistle always plays naturally in 3 keys (Dmaj, Gmaj and Emin)
Dmaj: D, E, F♯, G, A, B, C♯, D
Gmaj: G, A, B, C, D, E, F♯, G
Emin: E, F♯, G, A, B, C, D, E

But what about D mixolydian?
Dmaj: D, E, F♯, G, A, B, C, D

And even F# Locrian
F# G A B C D E

it is easily playable on a whistle, but never mentioned. Why is this?

Cheers,
Erwin
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: D Mixolydian

Post by colomon »

Because if you start counting modes, then a D whistle naturally plays in 14+ "keys" and it's just a pain in the neck to list them all.

Frankly, I wouldn't list Emin separately like that ... you either need more keys (after all, Bmin is every bit as natural a fit for a D whistle!) or fewer (I think just D and G would be my preference).

PS You've left out the super-common in Irish music A mixolydian and A dorian scales.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

If you're going to list the modes that Irish tunes on D whistles, pipes, and flute commonly occur in, off the top of my head it would be

D Major, D Mix
E dorian (actual E minor tunes are scarce, seems to me)
G Major (though some tunes or parts of tunes are in G Lydian)
A Mix, A dorian
B minor
C Lydian (a large number of old Highland Scottish tunes are in the equivalent key, G Lydian)

A separate issue, I suppose, are all the scales, the five-note and six-note "gap scales".

Scales with a missing 3rd are neither Major nor minor, but are usually perceived by the listener to be minor. Many tunes which are listed as "minor" and guitarists accompany as minor don't have a 3rd at all, and could be just as fittingly accompanied as Major.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm with colomon - D and G will do for me.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mostly depends on whether you are a "lumper" or a "splitter". But does it really matter? Just play the tune...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Steve Bliven wrote:Mostly depends on whether you are a "lumper" or a "splitter".
Reminds me of the time, some years back, when I was trawling round nurseries looking for a Paeonia Lithophila. Eventually, at about the 10th nursery I came to, I asked the man serving (who turned out to be the owner) and his immediate response was, "Are you a lumper or a splitter?" I got my plants. :)
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

benhall.1 wrote:I'm with colomon - D and G will do for me.
A little more inclusive but almost as simple: "anything with one or two sharps in the key signature".
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

StevieJ wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I'm with colomon - D and G will do for me.
A little more inclusive but almost as simple: "anything with one or two sharps in the key signature".
Yep. That works. :)
de Salier
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

Post by de Salier »

Thanks for all the info.

I normally just play the tune from memory and hearing as well

But just started to go a bit more into the background as I am trying to pick up the flute again. I just started wondering :)

I am still trying figure out why to call something A Dorian instead of G Major, as they are clearly related (1 sharp), currently looking at Humours of Tuamgreine.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Tuamgraney Castle resolves on A. The note a tune resolves on is usually a good indicator of the key.
My brain hurts

awildman

Post by awildman »

What key is the slide "Get Up Old Woman and Shake Yourself"? :poke: I guess it is technically hexatonic, but there are just some tunes like this that I have a hard time putting a label on.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

awildman wrote:What key is the slide "Get Up Old Woman and Shake Yourself"? :poke: I guess it is technically hexatonic, but there are just some tunes like this that I have a hard time putting a label on.
Personally I'd say it was in G, but you could easily argue that it's in E minor.
awildman

Post by awildman »

I think e dorian, but it revolves around some different notes during, and that is what throws me off. It just feels mixy or dorian. I wonder if the missing c makes it feel different enough to confuse me?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

awildman wrote:I think e dorian, but it revolves around some different notes during, and that is what throws me off. It just feels mixy or dorian. I wonder if the missing c makes it feel different enough to confuse me?
Sounds to me like you've got it about right. It does move around a bit.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

de Salier wrote:Hi all,

Just out of curiosity;
It is always said that a D whistle always plays naturally in 3 keys (Dmaj, Gmaj and Emin)
Dmaj: D, E, F♯, G, A, B, C♯, D
Gmaj: G, A, B, C, D, E, F♯, G
Emin: E, F♯, G, A, B, C, D, E

But what about D mixolydian?
Dmaj: D, E, F♯, G, A, B, C, D
Myeh.

If you can name ány key or scale or mode, you can play it on ány whistle. Don't let all the "three-key-only-folks" mislead! :poke:
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373