Rudall Carte & Co. 8-key on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rudall Carte & Co. 8-key on E-bay

Post by Steampacket »

Rudall Carte & Co. 8 key flute pin mounted keys, cylindrical bore, French tuning slide and parabolic head joint on E-bay now. The foot is a Boehm style rod system. Missing the crown, crack in head joint. Original box with lid detached, and cleaning rod. Serial no. 7439. Seller's location: Malmesbury, United Kingdom. Buy it now price £599.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Woode ... SwmfhX2W3k
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Rudall Carte & Co. 8-key on E-bay

Post by paddler »

I suspect this is a High Pitch instrument. I sent the seller a message requesting sounding length and C#-Eb measurements a week or so ago, but they have not replied.

By the way, if you look at Terry McGee's page on A Guide to the Lengths of Flutes there seems to be a bit on an anomaly in the figures presented for the lengths of Rudall Carte early model vs later High Pitch cylindrical bore flutes. The anomaly is that the overall length, and the min emb to A, quoted for the High Pitch flutes are longer than that for the earlier models, which I initially assumed were lower pitch flutes, because they had longer sounding length and C# to Eb lengths. However, now I presume this data means that there were two different models of High Pitch flutes, the earlier ones being even higher pitched than the later ones if the tuning slide was fully compressed.

Anyhow, according to Terry's page, the overall length of the earliest Rudall Carte cylindrical bore flutes is 639 mm, the later High Pitch ones 654 mm, and their 1940's flutes, which are presumably modern concert pitch, 678 mm. This flute for sale on eBay has an approximate length of 640 mm, making it very likely a High Pitch flute, even taking into account the missing end cap.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Definitely HP. The 640mm OL is decisive. Real value about half that BIN price.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Rudall Carte & Co. 7439 is for sale on E-bay again:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rudall-Carte ... Sw5dlaHo~s