Mick Moloney's preferred manolin picks?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Mick Moloney's preferred manolin picks?

Post by Thomaston »

Probably a long shot here, but I'm currently listening to "Strings Attached" and became curious what kind of mandolin picks he likes to use
I've found tenor banjo and bouzouki picks that work well for me, but I've literally spent years trying to find the "right" mandolin pick for me. I've gone as low as as 0.50" up to 1.50" without finding that happy medium. The thin ones sound tinny, the thick one sound muffled, but everything btwn 0.60 to 1.00 lack that "oomph." Right now I'm mostly using the 0.75 Pick Boy.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Mick Moloney's preferred manolin picks?

Post by brewerpaul »

You might want to ask over at Mandolincafe.com . They have LOTS of opinions about picks!

You might be able to ask Mick himself: http://mickmoloney.com/
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Sirchronique
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

If you want something thin, but with richness, oomph, and firmness, check out the Bluechip TD 35. It is only .88mm, yet it is a very firm material without much give. Despite that, it seems to glide through the strings quite easily (does not impede triplets/trebles), and stays very firmly in hand, with a cat's tongue type of texture to the grip. I find it gives a better tone than anything else I've used, and I use it for both mando and cittern. They are expensive, but they don't wear down like other picks, so really it isn't much more money in the long run. I've stuck solely with these picks for the past few years, and don't care to use anything else.

http://shop.bluechippick.net/products/TD35.html

Sorry, it doesn't answer your Mick Moloney question, but I think the Bluechip TD 35 combines the best of both worlds, as far as thick and thin picks goes.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Interestng, I didn't realize they had picks under 1mm. $35 would be worth it if it stopped me from wanting to swap picks several times per session.
Sirchronique
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Thomaston wrote:Interestng, I didn't realize they had picks under 1mm. $35 would be worth it if it stopped me from wanting to swap picks several times per session.
They offer at least a couple of other models in this thickness as well (I think maybe one of the very tiny Jazz plectrums is available as a 35).

A lot of people seem to take issue with the cost, but I have been using the same pick for two years on a regular basis, and it is not showing wear as of yet. I was transitioning from a more floppy pick, so it took me about a week to get used to it, but any other pick doesn't sound right to my ears anymore, and I really like the combination of thinness and firmness, and how it sticks well to the fingers. The Bluechip really brings out a more rich woody quality to the sound.