Pictures of Your Pipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Pictures of Your Pipes

Post by Dominic Allan »

robehickman wrote:
Dominic Allan wrote:I bought some artificial horn over ten years ago with a view to making these pipes, I finally got around to it.Musette Béchonnet, in boxwood.
I recall seing a set verry similer to this at blowout, it's a beautiful design.
That was this set!
The green man marquetry took almost as long to make as the rest of the pipes!
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

These are my pastoral pipes by Geert Lejeune of Brugge. They are in the key of D and are made of blackwood, horn, and silverplated mountings. They have a robust sound, just a touch louder than uillean pipes but not as loud as highland pipes. The 3 drones are in D (bass, alto, & treble). They’re fun to play, and with their range, I can play most of the Irish tunes I like to play.

My playing isn’t yet up to prime time but, here is link to another set made by Geert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMFuUycwfs

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid= ... 9424312323

I seem not to understand how to post the images to have them show up here.

Tjones
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

When I click on those links, Tjones, all I get is a black screen. Is there a 'share' button on the image site you're using?
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Bob Gerard

Post by Bob Gerard »

Hi,
I am brand new to this forum and am certainly glad that I have "stumbled" upon the Chiff&Fipple!
I am relatively new at piping, having my first set of Shepherd Small Pipes abot 14 months and my wonderful Simon Hope SSP in "D" for about 7 months.
I am happy to be able to share some photos of my Hope Pipes here (I hope the attaching works).
I am also on the wait list for Simon's Border Pies as well!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I just sold my lovely c1905 Lawries (ebony, ivory, and engraved German Silver) due to both ebony and ivory being banned from international travel, and in addition ivory being illegal to possess within the USA.

I ordered a custom/bespoke set from Rick Pettigrew at Dunbar Bagpipes, St Catherines, Ontario which due to the low Canadian dollar at the time of my order cost only around $1500 US.

Dunbar has started using Cocobolo (in addition to ABW which they've always done) so I got that, with hand-engraved David Davidse mounts.

The wood all matches in person- it's strange how in photos the wood appears to be different colours. Indoors the pipes are a very dark brown, nearly black. In the sun they look more like they do in the top photo, below.

These pipes play great.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Meticus
Tell us something.: Hi, I just started learning to play the German/Medieval Bagpipe. I also play the guitar, recorder and want to learn some songs on a tin whistle. I want to come in touch with international communities to share experience and get new input and inspiration, such as tunes from different regions, appropriate for my instruments. Therefore I joined the Chiff & Fipple forum :-)

Post by Meticus »

Hello, here is a picture of my German medieval bagpipe :-)
It was made by Christian Dreier.
The bagpipe comprises one ninth:
[ g' | a' | b ' | c'' | d'' | e'' | f#'' | g'' | a'' ]
(An approximate f'' is also possible via fork-fingering.)
The drone can be switched to A or G.
Most common tunes for that kind of bagpipe are in A minor, some in G major.

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Since all my photos disappeared when I shut down my Photobucket account, I thought I would do a post that actually has photos!

Here's the set I played for a number of years, probably pre-1908 R G Lawrie, ebony, ivory, and German Silver.

When President Obama signed an Executive Order making the possession of ivory illegal in the United States, and not wanting to walk around in public with pipes which were subject to seizure by the Department of Fish and Game at any time, I moved on from that set and got two no-ivory sets.

This set is by Starck, London, and came with a chanter stamped 1945.

I also got this set, said to be by R G Lawrie Glasgow made in the 1940s. This set is a superb player. Many Highland pipers hate old Catalin-mounted sets, but I like the old-school look.

Both sets in their pretty new clothes

Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

For several years I maintained and played Highland pipes in the three sizes offered by all the 19th and early 20th century Highland pipe makers, here they are together where their relative sizes can be seen.

About other types of pipes, I played Bulgarian gaida for many years before I finally gave it up and sold everything to a professional player. Here's the setup I had, so I could play in an number of different keys.

My Julian Goodacre Cornish doublepipes

My Gaita Gallega

My uilleann set. After playing a full set for over 20 years I downsized to a half set.

Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
aphillips
Tell us something.: I've gone down many rabbit holes starting with whistles and continuing with many different kinds of bagpipes. I founded and run the 30 musician ensemble Folk Orchestra Santa Barbara.

Post by aphillips »

Awesome pictures Richard - thanks for sharing!