Favorite Session Instrument

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Favorite Session Instrument

Post by Cathy Wilde »

When the Washboard and Gut Bucket Twins show up, I know things are going to get janky.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Singers.
The first instrument. The only one common to every musical tradition.

So under-represented at sessions...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
custer
Tell us something.: I have been learning to play the whistle and my teacher recommended this site to me. I am currently looking to upgrade the whistle I have currently and would like to gather as much info on what other players are using.

Post by custer »

Mandolin
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Fiddle, which is possibly odd since I don't play fiddle but can play whistle, flute, banjo, mandolin, and bouzouki. I often think maybe it's BECAUSE I don't play it that it's my favorite.
janmarie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by janmarie »

I'm with you Thomaston. I only want to play the flute but good fiddle playing bends my heart.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Anything played competently - but I'm fine with beginners who are keen to learn on any instrument [ more or less ].
One guitar - no more.
One bodhran - no more.
.... and I love it when another flute player turns up unexpectedly.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
uilleannified

Post by uilleannified »

You did ask about 'in a session', I have to admit I am stumped! Sweet harmony :0) One time I was over the moon about Banjos, then one hit me on the head! Not over the moon about it anymore. But it is hard not to get drawn to a good fiddler.
albert6720
Tell us something.: I join this community to discuss some music related topic as i have seen some on your forum.I am a music student and working of a music project that i am going to submit this summer. Hope get some help there regarding the issues in am facing.

Post by albert6720 »

I like to play the guitar but playing drum is also my passion when i playing any tune with my group fellow.
:poke: Nothing For Discussion
http://soldierstudio.com/
elderj
Tell us something.: I play Irish flute and have one flute for sale. I'm also interested in older Rudall and Rose flutes that may come up for purchase.

Post by elderj »

I'm a flute player, and when a session's getting largish I love sitting next to a banjo player. That crisp, plunky sound brings all the other instruments, as well as the shape of the tune, into focus--especially in a reel.
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

Woodwinds and bodhrans, and really good fiddles.

The local group is about 60% fiddles, with maybe four whistlers or flautists.

Also, the band Ballydowse did some very nice things with a didgeridoo.
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

Necroposting, but what the heck.

For backup, a tastefully played harp or piano, please. Or even a little raunchy Cape Breton style for the piano.

For melody, pipes, boxes, fiddles, other flutes.
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

An Draighean wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
sfmans wrote: ...but the guy who turned up to our predominantly G/D session with a didgeridoo pitched somewhere around the Eb region made a, er, unique contribution ...
I'm not sure that I've ever heard a didge make a welcome contribution to anything, frankly.
I have a Chieftains record with a didgeridoo coming in on one of the later repetitions of The Strayaway Child and I think it sounds good; makes it kind of spooky. Don't remember who plays it though. I'll grant there's not many other tunes I'd want to hear it on though.

As far as the original question goes, I love to see/hear a button accordion in a session.
The greatest arrangement of Strayaway Child ever by the way. :thumbsup:

JD
Korwen

Post by Korwen »

For me it's gotta be the tenor banjo, bodhran, and then a button box. I love a good bodhran player who can keep a beat for everyone, the squeezeboxes just have a unique sound I think you don't get from other session instruments, and kind of the same thing for the banjo, I just love that twang.