" Ask Pask ? " if only I could.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TWO TOOTS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

" Ask Pask ? " if only I could.

Post by TWO TOOTS »

I wondered if any members have come across the name John Pask on their travels. Evidently, information on this mid 19th. Century London based flute and brass instrument maker is limited. Scarcer still are supposed to be surviving flutes made by this craftsman, which in itself poses something of an enigma, considering he was in the instrument making business for some thirty years. The little that I have gleaned about this man's flutes appear to have been uttered in revered tones. The only photo's I have seen to date are the couple on Terry's brilliant site and a beauty held at the Dayton C Miller collection.
Have any of you come across any flutes made by this individual ? Better still, is anyone here lucky enough to own one ?
Yours Patiently
TWO TOOTS.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Re: " Ask Pask ? " if only I could.

Post by radcliff »

I remeber a couple of his flutes passed on ebay in the last few years. usually with great silver works.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

The Univ. of Edinburgh has a nice Pask with a cracked head joint:
http://www.mimo-db.eu/MIMO/infodoc/ged/ ... 0683_16516

There's also a Ribas improved by Pask here:
http://www.dwsolo.com/flutehistory/ital ... Flutes.htm

A Pask flute restored by Chris Wilkes went for £2150 on E-bay, Jan 21, 2014
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Antique-Wooden-F ... 1252677457

Here's the brass eight keyed flute Pask made - PASK & Co/445 WEST STRAND/LONDON" on the headjoint, "PASK & Co/Inventors/& Makers" on the body and "PASK & Co/LONDON" on the footjoint.:
http://collection-media.yale.edu/catalo ... qPBpoT6Rfg

John PASK was baptised on 12 October 1808 in St. Mary, Rotherhithe, London.1,2,3 He was the son of John PASK and Sarah PASK née ?4,2
John married Matilda Lavinia PASK née ? circa 1834.5
On 17 April 1835, at the time of the baptism of their daughter Matilda Lavinia PASK, John and Matilda lived at Park Street, St. Pancras, London. John was a Flute Maker.6
His wife, Matilda, died before 1837.7
John married Harriett LANDER, daughter of William HUGHES, on 6 August 1837 in St. Paul Covent Garden, Strand, London. The marriage was witnessed by Harriett Ann LANDER [daughter?] and Ann HALES. John was a Musical Instrument Maker, a Widower of full age residing at Bow Street. His father was listed as John PASK, a Cheesemonger.8,9,4
In the census of 7 June 1841 in Lowther Arcade, St. Martin in the Fields, London, John was listed as aged 30 the Head of Household; a Flute M. [Flute Maker] assumed to be living with his wife Harriett. Also listed was Harriett LANDER aged 12 [probably Harriet's daughter].10
In the census of 30 March 1851 in 21 Stamford Villas, Fulham, London, John was listed as aged 42 born in Rotherithe [Rotherhithe] Surrey, the Head of Household; a Musician and Musical Instrument Maker, a Master employing 12 men living with his wife Harriet, and 16-year old daughter Matilda. Also listed was Rose H. HESTER a servant aged 19.1
In the census of 7 April 1861 in 4 Adelaide Road, Hampstead, Middlesex, John was listed as the Head of Household, and then his name was crossed out, and marked (Absent), and no other details were provided.11
His wife, Harriett, died in 1882 in the St. Pancras registration district.12,3

Research Note: No record of him in the 1861 census, or in the GRO Deaths.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Thank you Thomas for the background information regarding Mr. Pask. He appears to have led a fairly eventful personal life as well as a lengthy business one. The fact that he seems to have disappeared circa 1861 only adds to the mystery. It may be assumed that he was also quite inventive when it came to instrument design if the Ribas Improved and the brass eight key are anything to go by. The brass flute featured at the Yale collection is particularly intriguing. It's as if he set himself the challenge of designing and manufacturing an eight key concert flute of the day minus one very integral ingredient - THE WOOD. I suppose being a brass instrument maker as well gave him some considerable insight before commencing this project, but it still looks pretty remarkable to my eyes. I'm curious to know how a flute of this particular construction would sound ? The last time I was this surprised by out and out off beat design was discovering offerings by Claude Laurent, and dare I say, this one by Pask was probably more practical. Are there other examples of flutes made in this way out there ?
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

Cant be certain, but I bet he ran off with the 19 year old servant girl and was never seen again :wink:
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Caspermilktoast wrote:Cant be certain, but I bet he ran off with the 19 year old servant girl and was never seen again :wink:
" Many's a true word spoken ( or should that be typed ? ) in jest." That would be one heart warming and yet villainous outcome, depending on perspective, simultaneously.
My son was kind enough to point out that the aforementioned brass flute made by Pask was not so unique after all. Other similar instruments were evidently manufactured with the British overseas Colonies firmly in mind at that time. See link below.

Hello Dad, I think you have a good theory about the similarities between the Clementi, Larshof and your Monzani with the three men all being from continental Europe. Also, it is my belief that flutes became more varied from country to country later on in the 19th century. Just had a quick look on Chiff and Fipple, to answer your question about flutes like the one shown in the Yale collection, check out Clinton's Flute for India. http://www.oldflutes.com/articles/india.htm and http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/clint-India.htm
Regards, Joseph.

Still waiting for signs of an elusive Pask. Are they really that rare ?
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

TWO TOOTS wrote "Still waiting for signs of an elusive Pask. Are they really that rare ?"

I did a quick search for "Pask flute" on the Early Flute group on Yahoo, and I came up with this post from David and Nina Shorey from 1998; https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ear ... ssages/442

David describes John Pask as "one of the real masters of the English large-holed flute" and mentions that he and Nina have sold three flutes by Pask, which were sold to; Helen Valenza, Skip McKinley and Paul Davies respectively.

Steampacket mentioned that the Rudall collection of the late Paul Davies was acquired by Michael Flatley in a separate thread. Is it possible that he may also have acquired a Pask?
Studio7

Post by Studio7 »

Hi,

I have a John Pask flute here. It's from the early period in 1842-1847 and has really lovely delicate silver keywork.

Richard Smith
Studio 7 Music Repairs
Briastol, England
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

Hello Richard, thank you for responding to this thread and welcome to the board. I would be very interested to know a little more about this flute, considering the lack of images on the web. Is it an eight key?
Kind regards, Joseph.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Studio7 wrote:Hi,

I have a John Pask flute here. It's from the early period in 1842-1847 and has really lovely delicate silver keywork.

Richard Smith
Studio 7 Music Repairs
Briastol, England
How about that! This is exciting news indeed, and what a way to introduce yourself. You must tell us all about this rare instrument. Given the dates, this flute will have probably been made at 8, Lowther Arcade, Strand, London. Virtually all the other examples of his fine craftsmanship in flute making come from this workshop address, and as a result you can't help but wonder if this had been his most prolific period, before going on to manufacture brass instruments ?

I hear that the tuning and intonation was pretty good for the period on his flutes. Is that the case with this one ? Is this another example with large tone holes ? You mention that this is another of his finely crafted keyed flutes - would it be too much trouble to ask you to post some close up photo's of this instrument as it would be a really rare treat ?
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Studio7 wrote:Hi,

Richard Smith
Studio 7 Music Repairs
Briastol, England
Hi, Is this John Pask flute for sale, and if so, can you post some photo's of it with the asking price ?
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Just a quick line to say my quest is complete, as Lady Luck smiled when she stepped in and sent a John Pask flute my way. Took delivery recently of a 4 key cocus flute by this highly respected maker of yesteryear, and can happily report that all the favourable reviews that I've heard are born out with this delightful example of his fine craftsmanship and skill. Up until this point, all the information gleaned has been relevant to 8 key Pask flutes. So far, I've not heard anything regarding other models. The reason I mention good fortune is that the man I bought it from informed me that it belonged to his parents, who were in the process of moving house, and if he had not intervened - this flute was destined for the bin ! :o

I am genuinely humbled by this turn in events - Dave saves the day ( and the flute ! ) :thumbsup:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

TWO TOOTS wrote:Just a quick line to say my quest is complete, as Lady Luck smiled when she stepped in and sent a John Pask flute my way. Took delivery recently of a 4 key cocus flute by this highly respected maker of yesteryear, and can happily report that all the favourable reviews that I've heard are born out with this delightful example of his fine craftsmanship and skill. Up until this point, all the information gleaned has been relevant to 8 key Pask flutes. So far, I've not heard anything regarding other models. The reason I mention good fortune is that the man I bought it from informed me that it belonged to his parents, who were in the process of moving house, and if he had not intervened - this flute was destined for the bin ! :o

I am genuinely humbled by this turn in events - Dave saves the day ( and the flute ! ) :thumbsup:
Photos or it didn't happen.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

" Photos or it didn't happen. " - I have to be honest and say that compared to all the prior examples seen on line to date, this one is something of " A Plane Jane. " It came with the anticipated head crack and a few missing D. profile ferrules. The head is now repaired, and I have replaced the missing rings with odd spares I had kicking about for the time being. Although providing temporary protection, it does not add very much in the way of presentation. In fairness, this flute has elegance in it's simple clean lines, and is beautifully balanced in the hand. The real " Joy " sets in when you play it. Being a large tone holed model with excellent tuning and intonation, with the exception of a slightly flat foot, it plays more like my modern day Hernon, rather than those :) "Wonky Early Rudalls." :D

For the time being kkrell, you will have to use your imagination. :)
paddler

Post by paddler »

For those with $4500 to spend, or for those who just want to look at the pictures, a Pask just came up for sale on eBay:

Rare 8-key Pask Irish Flute