Quena- Andean flute

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
DianIsis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Quena- Andean flute

Post by DianIsis »

I am new to the quena and have recently purchased a Ramos quena. I can not get a good seal over the holes so I can not elicit most of the notes. It seems as if my fingers are too thin to play. I am a fairly small woman; could this be the case, and if so, is there anything I can do to get better results with this quena?

Thank you in advance.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Quena- Andean flute

Post by hans »

Welcome to Chiff & Fipple!
Quena finger holes can be quite large, so I can understand that you struggle covering them if your fingers are thin. But perseverance may help. If you can learn to cover the top holes, then you should be able to cover the bottom holes in time too. I say all this without having any experience with Ramos quenas! Perhaps someone else can add more!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Piper's grip might help to cover the holes properly.
DianIsis

Post by DianIsis »

The piper's grip helped tremendously. Thank you!
Altazor
Tell us something.: I am a Colombian flutist and whistler, I want to improve my ability and get a keyed flute, I am saving money for it, but the devaluation of my currency is terrible for this goal.

Post by Altazor »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

You should search for a new quena according to the size of your fingers, because you must lose speed for playing. If you are interested learning to play quena, you can be based on the Thevenot method. It's available in free download on Internet.
Hernan (" ) Altazor