The Truckley Howl

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: The Truckley Howl

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Well, that's who was paying him at the time.
It would seem that you have information not vouchsafed to me. Not that my ignorance should be any surprise...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Brus

Post by Brus »

benhall.1 wrote: Of course, I can't be the only one who hears it like this, since by far and away the most common rendition is "truckly-how", particularly from Irish sources.
Could it be anglicized Irish Gaelic for .... something?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think "truckly-how" is just made-up meaningless noise for the fun of it, pure and simple.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've always assumed that Seamus Ennis got his nonsense style from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tzUFw_onY
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

OK. I listened again. But first I'll clarify for Nano that it's the 'version' on joefago.com that has had the background nosie added to go with the accompanying cartoon.

I've changed my mind. It's that he drops the pitch of his voice as the vowel 'lingers'. He does the same on the same on the 'sel' of 'themselves', making it more like a dipthong. Less obviously on another couple of vowels. It's his accent.

I guess the version on Amazon has been 'cleaned up' but the original has a more natural sound to it to my ear.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:But first I'll clarify for Nano that it's the 'version' on joefago.com that has had the background nosie added to go with the accompanying cartoon.
Yes, I already got that. Thank you.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The Truckly-How is a brilliant name for a band! (The Truckley Howl...well, almost.) I look forward to their debut album, Learn the Grip. (Or maybe their first should be Learn the the Talk, followed by Learn the Grip.)

OK, I'm off to form the Limeretti-Lumeretti Hillhockers...