Flute Geezers tape

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Flute Geezers tape

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

http://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/

I've been listening to this collection of recordings since I discovered it a few years ago. The track, "Flute_cittern.mp3" is particularly phenomenal, containing the Roving Bachelor and something else. As far as I can tell, the same player is also responsible for numbers 9, 10, and maybe 8. As Rich doesn't update that blog anymore, I wondered if anyone had an idea as to who this is. They'd certainly be my favorite player, and a major source of inspiration to me.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Flute Geezers tape

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have the original; tape, with Séamus MacMathúna's announcements, but I haven't digitised it so can't check quickly. It may be John Carlos, if memory serves. I'll check and confirm (or correct) over the weekend.
My brain hurts

MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have the original; tape, with Séamus MacMathúna's announcements, but I haven't digitised it so can't check quickly. It may be John Carlos, if memory serves. I'll check and confirm (or correct) over the weekend.

Wow! Thanks so much. I'd love to hear the actual announcements if there's a version out there somewhere with them. I can't find John playing solo anywhere on the internet. I'm not a huge fan of sessions, or at least, the way sessions are in the US, so finding really inspiring solo recordings is the main place I hear music I want to learn.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

MadmanWithaWhistle

Awesome stuff, DunnP. Thanks for the link to Comhaltas. It's definitely John Carlos I'm thinking of then. Is there more to these recordings than 30-second previews? I'd love to have more of John's playing.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

He is on some of the older Comhaltas tour lps and also on the more recent Roscommmon fluteplayers CDs as far as I remember.

And videos with Patsy Hanly @ the source
My brain hurts

MadmanWithaWhistle

Mr.Gumby wrote:He is on some of the older Comhaltas tour lps and also on the more recent Roscommmon fluteplayers CDs as far as I remember.

And videos with Patsy Hanly @ the source
Cool! I really appreciate your generosity with your time, especially for some random person on the internet.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I have a very unusual cassette tape a fairly young John Carlos made with an Irish Country & Western singer. He has some flute tracks on it, some tracks where he plays banjo, and this other guy singing sort of gospel / C&W songs. I think one of them was "Does Your Lawyer talk To God ?" !! I suppose I could put them in a "Dropbox" mailbox for you to hear, but I have some concerns about the security of that. Anybody have any opinions on "Dropbox" ? Otherwise, send me your email address in a Private Message, and I'll email MP3 files of them to you.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
MadmanWithaWhistle

kenny wrote:I have a very unusual cassette tape a fairly young John Carlos made with an Irish Country & Western singer. He has some flute tracks on it, some tracks where he plays banjo, and this other guy singing sort of gospel / C&W songs. I think one of them was "Does Your Lawyer talk To God ?" !! I suppose I could put them in a "Dropbox" mailbox for you to hear, but I have some concerns about the security of that. Anybody have any opinions on "Dropbox" ? Otherwise, send me your email address in a Private Message, and I'll email MP3 files of them to you.

PM sent! Thanks so much!
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

You need to create an account to listen to the full recordings.
It's free but there is an annoying noise "watermark" but I don't even notice it any more.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The introduction on the tape says John Carlos, from Roscommon, accompanied by (what sounds like ) Neillidh Kavanagh.
the Roving Bachelor and something else.
And while I have the tape out: the second tune of that selection is Miss McGuinness

His other tracks on the tape are:

. Gatehouse Maid/Sandymount
. Hughie Travers'/Garrett Barry's

Reels, all of them.
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
MadmanWithaWhistle

Just for the record then, John Carlos' tracks on the "Flute Geezers" tape are as follows:

9.mp3 - The Gatehouse Maid / The Sandymount
flute_cittern.mp3 - The Roving Bachelor / Miss McGuinness
10.mp3 - Something / Miss McCloud

Are Hugie Travers/Garrett Barry's alternate names for 10?

Thanks again for all your trouble in finding this folks. I really dig JC's playing as well as the fun of having this whole mystery solved!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Are Hughie Travers/Garrett Barry's alternate names for 10?
Not so much alternate as the correct ones. it is Garrett Barry's version of Miss McLeod's but it's always called Garrett Barry's Reel.
My brain hurts