Name this boat

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Name this boat

Post by Nanohedron »

I've been interested in this type of Thai workaday vessel for ages. But I can't find what it's called (much less any other info such as construction, etc.) no matter how much I search; I find everything but. Best I can tell from my searches, it doesn't qualify as a sampan, and if I search "sampan" this particular design doesn't show up; despite a superficial resemblance it looks like something else entirely. Anyone have the goods on this?

TIA.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Coffee

Re: Name this boat

Post by Coffee »

Thai fighter?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

All it gets called is "boat" in English-language articles. It's a commonplace vessel in its environment, nothing rare and obscure. I can find info on any other watercraft but this one. Sometimes the 'net is a huge disappointment.

What the photo doesn't show is that both ends are identically constructed. Presumably there is no designated bow or stern per se.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I don't know the proper name for that particular design. But around here those local flat bottomed boats are called Jon boats or a punt boat.

My quick search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wooden+ ... 33&bih=583

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_(boat)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

It does look a bit like a punt, but I don't think it is. If it was, he'd be stood up, punting. With a pole.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Not the Thai name you presumably seek, but try https://www.google.com/search?q=thai+market+boat?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Yeah, I'll have to punt on this one...

But "Reụ̄x tlād" is, I think... Thai for market boat.
เรือ ตลาด
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:It does look a bit like a punt, but I don't think it is. If it was, he'd be stood up, punting. With a pole.
That's sort of close to what I was wondering: if the planky bits sticking out were used for [dis]embarking or what else.
Peter Duggan wrote:Not the Thai name you presumably seek...
That is correct, sir. It would totally narrow my search. Or, judging by my successes so far, not.
It's as good a direction as any I've tried. Maybe I'll find it there. :)

... In other news, I found out that my cat likes spanakopita. I never would have guessed.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Coffee wrote:เรือ ตลาด
Well, at least Google understands it...
https://www.google.com/search?q=%E0%B9% ... 4&tbm=isch
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Thing is, for a search in English you'd need the Romanised approximation, because just as in English, Thai orthography frequently doesn't match its pronunciation. Case in point: Sriracha. You don't pronounce the first R. Or the name Shinawatra: you don't pronounce the "ra". And it gets worse.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Maybe I'll just have to go to a Thai restaurant. It seems to be my last resource. But how embarrassing to go there (and eat, of course) and then whip out a pic, asking what it was called. Among customers I would be nominated Tool of the Year.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Maybe I'll just have to go to a Thai restaurant. It seems to be my last resource. But how embarrassing to go there (and eat, of course) and then whip out a pic, asking what it was called. Among customers I would be nominated Tool of the Year.
Bet they look at you gone off and tell you it's a boat.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Yep. Or I'd get a frosty, "Dude. I'm from Illinois."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

So you go to Joy's Pattaya Thai Restaurant*, ask a person that looks to be Thai and hopefully knows the region and they say XXXXXXX. And then you get to try to spell it correctly. Hope there is a translation for it, etc.

*On's kitchen is probably closer to you (order the king's favorite dish there, not what you'd expect)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Post your question to the Wooden Boat Forum (forum.woodenboat.com). You'll have to sign up (free), but there are builders from around the world (including SE Asia), that can tell you the name, history, and point you toward plans. There's even a Bilge forum (off topic and such) that makes the C&F PROCT forum look like an English society tea party. :boggle:

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.