Peas in Guacamole

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Peas in Guacamole

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Re: Peas in Guacamole

Post by an seanduine »

Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I heard about this the other day. I don't get why it's garnered so much attention. I learned to make it with tomatoes in it over 30 years ago. I don't like raw onions, so don't use them. I don't know whether I'd like peas in it or not, but I suspect the peas would need to be cooked first, so probably won't try it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I'm reading about brussel sprouts based guacamole. That I get.

Sometimes there are surprises along these lines. I've done the mashed cauliflower thing as a substitute for mashed potatoes. Done properly, it works.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:I don't get why it's garnered so much attention.
You're not alone. I, OTOH, don't get why people don't get why. Upon reading about it, it was as if I'd been slapped in the face. The basic makeup of guac is deservedly iconic, limited in variation because it is already perfect in itself, so the addition of peas strikes me as not only superfluous but grotesque, the trendy-minded thrashings-about of a brute with a kitchen and good intentions but no grasp of culture. Now admittedly you don't get an omelette without breaking eggs, but I don't see a beneficial revolutionary concept here, just an intrusion. It might even be delicious in its way, but ... no. I mean, let's throw in broccoli while we're at it.

Yes, I'm traumatised.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I'm with Nanohedron here, Peas in Guacomole is like adding other liquids or ice to Whiskey. It shouldnt be allowed.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

accordionstu wrote:Peas in Guacomole is like adding other liquids or ice to Whiskey. It shouldnt be allowed.
And that's another debate. If it's good Scotch I'll sometimes add a touch of water, sometimes not. Usually not. But your garden-variety rail whiskey? Almost completely undrinkable straight up, so I have no misgivings when I order a simple whiskey seven and bitters.

If someone ordered a Balvenie Double Wood and cola, I would marvel at the sheer gall it takes to commit such an affront, and of course being beyond salvation, the thug should be ejected from the premises to commit his sins at home.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I like my soda on the side. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
megapop

Post by megapop »

It's an analytical truth that guacamole doesn't have peas in it: you can't think of a possible world where you'd still call it guacamole.

To elaborate on accordionstu's proposition: if you have a glass of cola you can legitimately call it a glass of cola, because it is true that it is a glass of cola. But if you add some lousy bourbon to it you just can't call it a glass of cola any more. While it is true that there is cola in the glass, adding lousy bourbon to it changes its intrinsic properties to an extent that identity to a glass of cola is no longer given -- it's not even functionally equivalent. Imagine you ask for a glass of cola and what you get is jack and coke. See?

Analogously, some avocado-pea-dip may have its place in the world as well, but it's certainly not guacamole. ■

This all being said,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU

:)
return null;
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

In the past I never noticed that there was no "P" in guacamole. I prefer to keep it that way.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Barbarians! Fresh peas?
Positively gauche! Canned or nothin'.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Peas are just filler... stretching them premium priced avacados all the way to the bank. Spread it on, scoop it, or shovel it down, eat and be merry.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I wonder how many of the apparently thousands of outraged guacamole fans actually tried guac with peas? It might be, God forbid, very tasty. Arguably it wouldn't still be correctly called guacamole, but why the outrage?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

brewerpaul wrote:...but why the outrage?
Yes - if only there weren't worse going on in the world, right? But my suspicion is that the outrage is over nomenclature more than the peas themselves, because it's still being called guacamole. There's your sticking point. Take the flipside (if it really is one): if you added mashed avocado to mushy peas, would the result still be rightly called mushy peas?
Brus

Post by Brus »

I.D.10-t wrote:In the past I never noticed that there was no "P" in guacamole. I prefer to keep it that way.
There's also no Q in billiards.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)