Newbie question about a flute on Amazon

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
musicaddict99
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Re: Newbie question about a flute on Amazon

Post by musicaddict99 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
musicaddict99 wrote:I cut a slot on the top of middle section where it joins into the flute head.
Why?

I got frustrated and tried unsuccessfully to turn it into a quena.

I have just repaired that slot with some glue, and the warbling/oscillation between the octaves has stopped.

As for my embouchure, I am trying to improve it.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

musicaddict99 wrote:I got frustrated and tried unsuccessfully to turn it into a quena.
Which was never going to work with a slot in that joint when you'd have needed it up by the embouchure hole.
As for my embouchure, I am trying to improve it.
Yep, and you really need a lot more skill and experience before you even consider modifying anything.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
musicaddict99
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Post by musicaddict99 »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Sorry for the necro post, but I figured out what was wrong with the flute.

After randomly making holes bigger all over the flute, and trying to change the flute into something else,
I figure out the issue was with the tail section of the flute. I ended up making the three note holes bigger
on the tail section, then I tidied up the embouchure hole which had some debris from other attempted modifications,
then liberally applied oil to the flute.

The flute now plays the last three notes correctly, is louder, and I spend less time trying to get any sound at all
out of the flute than I did before.

I am very much a beginner so I don't know much, but the flute seems improved over what it was before.
musicaddict99

Post by musicaddict99 »

The unmodified flute from two years ago, can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEBwIOGNQ08

I make the note holes bigger in the tail section here:https://youtu.be/_dANoNMuZUU

I know that my playing is horrible, but I think I actually solved one problem on this Pakistani made flute.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I am a woman with average length fingers, but years of playing musical instruments and using them to work with tools and manipulate heavy objects have made them somewhat stronger than average and extended my reach. I'm not sure where we would compare in size, but when I shop for gloves my favorite fit is mens small. That being said, I have played every sort of modern Irish flute and a few antiques and haven't found the stretch too much. I know there are makers who specialize in flutes for smaller hands so you might research that if you find it interesting. But I have seen flute players with smaller hands than mine do very well on all types of flutes. The key may be extending your stretch over time. You can do that on a flute, a piano or on a table or an armchair. As for whistles, the lowest I enjoy playing is an F. If you want to work with a flute that you can enjoy and are on a budget check out a delrin by a good maker. They are often sold second hand as a player moves on to wood, and even their full retail price is pretty good. You will find a good wood flute is lighter than a delrin though.