Newbie question about a flute on Amazon

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
musicaddict99
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Re: Newbie question about a flute on Amazon

Post by musicaddict99 »

megapop wrote: BTW, as you say you're new to the sideblown flute I wonder how you can judge the quality of that Bb fife... I mean, it takes quite a long time until you're able to produce a decent tone in the first place, and if you're only learning with crap instruments from a dubious company you may be misguided in what you consider "playable". So I'd say it's very important that you *know* you have a playable instrument you're training your embouchure on.

Actually, I bought a bamboo flute in a music store, which is a midsized flute in the key of G, which plays even better than the fife, even though its a $8 piece of bamboo!
My ears work ok though ;-) , the fife is as playable as I expected, and I can over and under blow it to get the octaves, so I would rate it as fair.

You are right though, how do I know I have the right embouchure unless I have reliable flute.
musicaddict99
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Post by musicaddict99 »

Jayhawk wrote:Did you glance at AAR's other Amazon items? They're electronics. I would be shocked if they made anything. If they're selling musical instruments on ebay, they likely are bought/salvage items (e.g., from seized goods for a store, say, that is being closed for unpaid taxes). You were likely lucky on the fife.

EDIT: That's weird...on my phone the link for their Amazon store takes me to electronics, but on my home computer it's all Celtic stuff and instruments (including pipe reeds). Despite that, I think you're lucky. They describe it as black and claim it's rosewood...they clearly don't know what they're selling and it perfectly matches mid-east manufactured flutes.

Dixon makes reputable things...if you can get a conical bore one, it's not much money and it's more likely to be good and playable by far. I'd go with the two piece...the cost if I recall isn't much more at all and being able to tune some is a good thing.

I did look at their items, they tend to sell Scottish items, like spurrens (sp?) and bagpipes, though other searches tend to show they sell misc other stuff.

Two piece instead of the one piece Dixon sounds good, since the jump in price to the 3 piece is considerable. Now to get my wife not to kill me for buying another instrument (I have lots)
will be another level of difficulty :P.
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

One thing to consider. For the price of several less than satisfactory or dubiously playable instruments, you could have bought one of Dave Copley's basic Delrin flutes or something similar that would keep you happily occupied for years and hold much of its value: http://www.copleyflutes.com/catalog.html.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Right. It's worth remembering that if you buy wisely, you don't lose money, just turn it into a form that you can play and, if ever you wish, sell again, sometimes at a profit. Also if you want to play flute, it's really a good idea to buy something you know is playable. Otherwise you just throw money away.
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I agree with the common sentiment that you get what you pay for. Having tried quite a few cheaper flutes from the reputable starter flutes - Dixon and other non descript flutes available from ebay and in general,I didn't enjoy the sound they made nor did I enjoy playing them. As others have said , there are decent quality PVC flutes available "Doug Tipple" at a reasonable price or "Hammy Hammilton's" Aluminium practice flutes.
Personally I would stick to the Bb high pitch flute/fife, develop a good embouchure and play the whistle tunes you have learned already, meanwhile, save your money for a better quality D flute, keep watching the "Instruments Exchange" forum on this site for
items offered for sale as everyone i have had dealings with on here, share a smiliar passion, are reputable and I respect their opinions.

Good Luck
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

You asked for advice and the experienced people here are telling you that you are buying firewood.

There are so many good inexpensive flutes to choose from - at the low end the Doug Tipple flute which is really quite serviceable, and for a little more, GREAT flutes like Casey Burns Folk Flute. Often these are available used for even less. These instruments are known to work, and work well. Cheaping out just leads to a world of unnecessary pain for a beginner.

I just saw that Carbony are offering their D Flute on Ebay. A friend bought one last year and it turns out to be quite respectable.
maki

Post by maki »

Tipple Flutes are great, just not for small hands.
Save your penny's and watch the Used Instrument tread.
Couple times a year a Burns Folk Flute shows up for a great price.
Watch, wait, save.
musicaddict99

Post by musicaddict99 »

Thanks for all the replies.

I should concentrate on the tin whistle for now, and see what tunes I can also play on the flutes I have (minus that useless low D), but I have an itch I need to scratch. I would buy
the Dixon one piece, but I am not sure it would satisfy me, because I prefer wood, because it seems more alive or warmer to me (though this is somewhat silly on
my part I guess). I guess I should consider the advice I got when buying a recorder one time, in that a good quality plastic instrument is better than an inferior (though more expensive)
wooden one. Not sure what I will do with the wooden D flute I bought, perhaps I can use it as a decoration someplace.

Is the finger spacing on the two piece Dixon the same as on the one piece version? :poke:

Edit:
I got frustrated with the flute, and tried to modify the airway a bit, and it worked, I get sound now. May want to try this with any Flute Like Objects you have. I cut a slot
on the top of middle section where it joins into the flute head.
T&K

Post by T&K »

Here is (hopefully) some helpful information… take a look at Walt Sweet’s SHANNON flute: http://wdsweetflutes.com/

This is an amazing instrument made from acetal polymer (i.e., delrin), so it’s rugged and easy to care for. The price is just $275 and, especially if you’re a beginner, you can’t miss with this one. It has a traditional conical shape, a strong tone that’s easy to blow (so you won’t get frustrated during the learning process), and an ergonomic hole design that’s quite comfortable. Add to that a tonal character that is, well, just plain suited to Irish music (imho).

However, if you only want to see if you’re really interested in learning... then get one of the low-cost cylindrical models made from PVC (e.g., such as the Tipple). Just be aware that while these (cylindrical “Irish simple system” flutes) can be very good in basic tone, etc., their design is non-standard and you’ll eventually gravitate to something better. That’s why I point to the SHANNON. Start with that and then move up from there, if you so desire.

All the best!
musicaddict99

Post by musicaddict99 »

I just bought myself a Boehm style flute, if I want to get an Irish style flute in the future, it will be in the far future, and it will be a Casey Burns, because
I have become wary of any other sort of flute made of wood.

Thanks for all the replies, I think the subject is closed for me now :P .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

musicaddict99 wrote:I have become wary of any other sort of flute made of wood.
And rightly so. If you make the regrettable decision of buying an Olwell, I won't laugh at you - just send it to me and I won't breathe a word. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
musicaddict99

Post by musicaddict99 »

Nanohedron wrote: And rightly so. If you make the regrettable decision of buying an Olwell, I won't laugh at you - just send it to me and I won't breathe a word. :wink:
I am not quite that foolish ;)
musicaddict99

Post by musicaddict99 »

I took some before and after video of me (badly) playing the flute. The 2nd half of the video is on the flute after I messed around with it. https://youtu.be/fEBwIOGNQ08
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

musicaddict99 wrote:I cut a slot on the top of middle section where it joins into the flute head.
Why?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My suggestion (for your playing - I can't add anything to the purchasing discussion!) is to get with someone who is a flute player and work on your embouchure. You need to be a LOT more "focused". I even suspect your firewood flute might be a little better than you think... 'Course, with your modification, it's probably even more ready for the burn pile!

Best of luck in your pursuit (both buying and playing)! I've been at it for 8+ years and still have a LONG way to go! My best advice is to practice (a lot!) after you get your embouchure issues straightened out.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV