Fat Playing?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wizzywig

Fat Playing?

Post by wizzywig »

whistle1000

Re: Fat Playing?

Post by whistle1000 »

Thanks for sharing that!! Interesting for sure...I, personally, don't like the sound of that method. It sounds a bit "muddy" and all run together....a good controlled embouchure and tasteful tunging(sp.) is where it's at. IMHO....I don't think I could ever watch a concert or a performance of that style of playing...just very odd looking to me...Years ago, we had someone join our session, when I lived in Calgary, Alberta, Canada...he played like he was "chewing" on his mouthpiece...some kinda breath control thing...I swear to ? that I would get qweezy looking at him..great player though!
thedarkpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by thedarkpiper »

@whistle1000

Yeah... certainly have to agree with that one!!
It looks strange, and just cant stop laughing at the technique... :P
"Sunny Australia"
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

funny...it does look strange....even stranger, Phil explains it is because of his Quena playing but after watching a few Quena videos, it looks like the Quena deffo needs a good embouchure...must be some kind of personal quirk of his...MTGuru pointed out the intonation of the two whistles in the other thread where Mr. Hinnigan seems flat...I agree and believe it is totally due to his style of blow....tried to play like that today for fun and it certainly sounds noticably flatter than when I play with a focused embochure....Mr. Hinnigan has done so much in his musical career so it obviously does not hinder him...this is the first time I've ever seen a clip of him play and, quite frankly, I wish I had never seen it unfortunately, the image will stay with me for life! :lol:
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

It's a funny thing, but that sounds really quite out of tune to me. Is it the whistle or the player I wonder?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It's not 'literally another way of doing tonguing', whatever Phil says!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
SKC

Post by SKC »

Interesting video. I never registered that Tony does that when playing the whistle. He also uses a quena grip on low whistles now that I'm looking. I've never heard him play anything fast; I wonder how these techniques work for playing jigs and reels...