Muir Eireann/Irish Sea Sheet Music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rwb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Muir Eireann/Irish Sea Sheet Music

Post by rwb »

Be gentle if I'm doing something wrong, it's my first post... :-?

I recently picked up a Feadog D whistle and I'm digging deep trying to read music from when I played a trumpet as a young buck 45-50 years ago!

I came across that YouTube video of a fellow playing Muir Eireann and wanted to give it a whirl however I've googled to the cows come home unsuccessfully. Can someone kick me in the right direction please?

I've bookmarked several traditional Irish Music sites however none have the sheet music for this slow air on it.

Thanks in advance....

Ron
MTGuru

Re: Muir Eireann/Irish Sea Sheet Music

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Ron, welcome.

One reason ou're having trouble finding the dots is probably that you have the title wrong, if this is the YT video you're referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCeyFxf0JUQ

This is a Scottish tune, The Arran Boat Song, not Muir Éireann. There is an orchestral piece called Muir Éireann, by composer Shaun Davey; but that's a different tune.

With this in mind, you can find the ABC notation online:

http://ecf-guest.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/ ... ong_Em.abc

Just plug this into the Concertina.net converter. There's also additional information at TheSession.org: https://thesession.org/tunes/986

That said, one difference from your trumpet days is that traditional music like this is traditionally learned by ear, not by notes. If you're not used to learning by ear, this is a very easy tune to start with. It's just a bunch of 3-note groups with a lot of repetition. Choose a decent setting and recording, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTa0AM6-GCw

Save it to your computer or device, and learn it literally three notes at a time. Refer back to that guy's whistle video as a visual guide to the fingerings (it's OK for that). You'll have it in no time.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the whistle forum. Enjoy the whistling.

That's a lovely slow air to begin with. I tried learning the whistle using the notes and it wasn't exactly successful so in 2015 I'm focusing on the ear learning. Playing often is how you'll get to where you want to be on the whistle even if its only a few minutes daily.
rwb

Post by rwb »

:thumbsup: .....I can' t thank you guys enough. It's such a pleasure to get good information so quickly. We've all been on discussion forums where it's hit and miss how your question will be treated so this was a real breathe of fresh air!

Thanks so much for the clarification on the title and links. I had just printed off some blank music sheets and asked my wife for a sharp pencil so I could, over time, play that video of the guy playing that tune and replicate each note and put it onto the music sheets.

I've only been playing with the Feadog for about a week and am having a blast. I'm applying that training schedule that was mentioned of a few minutes a day.....and hopefully soon when I go from B down to D it won't result in a loud squeak instead of the nice low note. :o

Thanks again fellas!

Ron
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

rwb wrote:I've only been playing with the Feadog for about a week and am having a blast. I'm applying that training schedule that was mentioned of a few minutes a day.....and hopefully soon when I go from B down to D it won't result in a loud squeak instead of the nice low note.
One of the best learning moments for me eliminating the whistle squeaks was following the breath control exercise that Ecohawk (RIP) posted here:

viewtopic.php?p=1130498#p1130498
Give it a try.

And he also liked the Feadóg whistle. :thumbsup:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

rwb wrote:
I came across that YouTube video of a fellow playing Muir Eireann and wanted to give it a whirl however I've googled to the cows come home unsuccessfully. Can someone kick me in the right direction please?

Ron
Hi Ron, welcome to C&F and the exciting world of whistling.
Click this link http://www.tinwhistler.com/tunes.aspx then click on the tunes then (A) and scroll down to ''Arran Boat''.
You can see the notes/print and hear it being played there.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086