Preventing tinnitus and hearing loss while practicing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you use hearing protection while playing?

Yes
12%
No
67%
Sometimes
20%

Total votes: 49

Mr Ed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Preventing tinnitus and hearing loss while practicing

Post by Mr Ed »

nursefroggy wrote:Mr. Ed, you have the perfect solution to my jar of ear plugs - hand them out to the neighbours! :D

Have you tried muting your whistles? I am using a Carey Parks Everyman for most of my practising these days. With the mute almost closed, you can practice at a whisper. It won't help you blow a note into correct intonation or teach proper breath control, since it takes almost no breath to blow when muted, yet it does save the hearing. Hope your ears adjust to the change soon.
They make great stocking stuffers! :thumbsup:

I have tried muting my whistles, but usually don't think of it most of the time when playing/practicing. That's mainly because of working on playing the 2nd octave better, and to me it can't be done without the instrument at its full volume, where it's really going to count. The work is paying off, so muting/the whisper method can be used more now. :)

Wishing you many years of happy (and safe) music,
Mr. Ed
nursefroggy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by nursefroggy »

Brus wrote:
nursefroggy wrote: Lynn did caution against using high volume settings when listening to music, as the headphones can be cranked up quite loud.
Anything about playing the whistle?
Lynn thought that using the Bose NC to block out the volume of the whistle was ideal. Her concern was more for plugging into an iPhone and cranking up the volume on tracks. She said the Bose was unusual in its ability to cancel a wide range of frequencies, rather than just the lower sounds addressed by most NC headphones. Part of the benefit is from the fit of the headphones, which aides with noise reduction.

When playing the MK Pro, it was as though the sound was coming from a far off room; audible, yet quiet.

Mr. Ed, thanks for solving the stocking stuffer dilemma. :thumbsup:
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I've been using these plugs for years and really like them (the flat frequency response lets the music still sound as it should, just quieter): http://www.etymotic.com/er20.html

And I know some people who swear by these: http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearin ... /erme.html (These cost the same as the Bose headphones, but they're less obtrusive, are designed for musicians, and evenly reduce levels across the frequency spectrum.)
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

Tintin wrote:I've been using these plugs for years and really like them (the flat frequency response lets the music still sound as it should, just quieter): http://www.etymotic.com/er20.html

And I know some people who swear by these: http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearin ... /erme.html (These cost the same as the Bose headphones, but they're less obtrusive, are designed for musicians, and evenly reduce levels across the frequency spectrum.)
Thank you, Tintin. Those do look more reasonably priced than the Bose. The earbuds look much less conspicuous for use in pubic situations.

I tried my friend's Bose set again this morning and have ordered them.
At this point, I'm sticking with the headphones rather than earbuds on my audiologist's recommendation. Lynn cautioned against using earbuds based on my particular health concerns, which may not be relevant to the average person. As always, each person should consult his/her healthcare provider before proceeding.
The musician's earbuds do look tempting for public concerts...I'm not sure I am up to showing up with headphones on. Add that to a white cane, and it might cause a few frowns...guess I wouldn't see them, though...
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

nursefroggy wrote:
Tintin wrote:The earbuds look much less conspicuous for use in pubic situations.
You just need some stylish fashion accessories to go over the muffs and you'll have it made, and being winter this may be just the thing!

Owner of Hermit Hill Folk Instruments - http://www.hhfi.biz
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

:poke:
AlexD wrote:
nursefroggy wrote:
Tintin wrote:The earbuds look much less conspicuous for use in pubic situations.
You just need some stylish fashion accessories to go over the muffs and you'll have it made, and being winter this may be just the thing!

:thumbsup: :lol: Finally, a way to look ' cool' AND preserve hearing!
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I went through a period of time when tinnitus almost totally kept me from playing. Whistle was the worst. Flute was difficult. I played around with strings (Uke) for a while and luckily it went away. I tried ear plugs for a while. Didn't seem to help much. Stuff just sounded strange.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Lost-in-North-Dakota

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

vomitbunny wrote: Whistle was the worst.
For me, the ocarina is the worst. Much harder on my ears than a tinwhistle.
chas

Post by chas »

vomitbunny wrote:I went through a period of time when tinnitus almost totally kept me from playing. Whistle was the worst. Flute was difficult. I played around with strings (Uke) for a while and luckily it went away. I tried ear plugs for a while. Didn't seem to help much. Stuff just sounded strange.
VB!!!! How the hell you been? It's been years!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

vomitbunny wrote:I went through a period of time when tinnitus almost totally kept me from playing. Whistle was the worst. Flute was difficult. I played around with strings (Uke) for a while and luckily it went away. I tried ear plugs for a while. Didn't seem to help much. Stuff just sounded strange.
Did you try noise blocking or noise canceling headphones? My audiologist said that the pressure created between the earbuds and the eardrum can actually trigger tinnitus for some people.

We seem to have representatives on our forum from across the spectrum of those with tinnitus, ranging from temporary noise induced symptoms to chronic, unrelenting squeals, whistles ( no pun intended) and hissing.

How do you cope with your tinnitus? For me, avoiding any loud noise, particularly if prolonged, using noise reduction headphones, and, as of yesterday, using noise canceling headphones has made it so I can actually play the piano and whistles again. :love:

Attitude plays a huge role, too. Most people accommodate to their internal auditory accompaniment and develop strategies for coping with it. The following are coping mechanisms I use:
- leaving loud environments, when possible, or alternatively, turning the hearing aides off ( this also helps when singing different harmonies to the person on one side in choir or when someone goes on and on...) :lol:
- masking the tinnitus with instrumental music, nature sounds,
- stress reduction strategies, such as exercise, meditation, autohypnosis, yoga,
- Avoiding triggers, which will be different for each individual,
- keeping busy - focusing on something interesting can be a great distraction,
- Education and expert consultation. Visit national Tinnitus Associations. Be wary of sites offering the latest 'guaranteed miracle cure', if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- maintain a positive attitude and connect with others who have tinnitus. You would be amazed how many fascinating people live well with internal accompaniment.

How do you cope with tinnitus?
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

Sorry for the rant in the previous post. The 'nurse' part of 'Nurse Froggy' does take over, at times.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Sorry for the rant in the previous post. The 'nurse' part of 'Nurse Froggy' does take over, at times.
The rule against on-forum medical advice definitely seems to have gone out of the window.

I don't want to make light of the issue but personally, and not free from tinnitus either, I am rather wary of turning everyday activities like playing the whistles into things that need protective measures before we indulge in them. Life is unhealthy, it leads to decay and death, we may as well face up to that.
My brain hurts

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mr.Gumby wrote:The rule against on-forum medical advice definitely seems to have gone out of the window.
No, not exactly. Suggesting a non-medical device (e.g. noise cancelling headphones, or earplugs) for a physical problem is OK. The fact that a poster may or may not have medical qualifications does not change that. And the core advice (and example) here to consult your audiologist or tinnitis association falls within our guidelines. - Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

nursefroggy wrote:
I've suffered from it for so long that I can just ignore it 95% of the time. It bothers me more at night than any time else. During the day, I can play music all day as a distraction, which helps my ADD also.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

An Draighean wrote:
nursefroggy wrote:
I've suffered from it for so long that I can just ignore it 95% of the time. It bothers me more at night than any time else. During the day, I can play music all day as a distraction, which helps my ADD also.
Does it help to play quiet music at night? I set a timer to shut the music off after I've fallen asleep, so it doesn't wake me up later during the night.