flat fingers on keyed flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Hi you flute-lovers! A few months ago I bought a Seery keyless flute (delrin) which I like a lot. I use flat fingers or piper's grip which I learned on the low whistle, and it works quite well. Now I'd like to get a keyed flute and wonder whether it will be possible to play this with the same flat-finger-grip. Have a nice day :smile:
- claudine -

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: claudine on 2001-11-22 00:18 ]</font>
totst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by totst »

If you're working with one key like the G#, it would probably work. But with the Thumb Bb, it would be difficult if not impossible. I would not recommend a flat finger style for a flute with 5 or more keys. You would need the base(?) of the left hand index to support when working the keys. Well, it's my 2 cents.

Tots
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

You'll find greater difficulty using "piper's grip" on a keyed flute with block mounts rather than one with post mounts. At least that's been my clients' experiences, since most blocks are relatively close to the holes on the right hand, especially the long-F key. Some also have difficulty in the width of the short-F key touch and find themselve inadvertently venting the key, so whomever makes your flute, or if you buy a used one, consider having the short-F touch made thinner at the touch to alleviate this issue.
G# keys generally aren't an issue for the left hand, especially if you keep those fingers relatively flat.
I don't see how the Bb key would be an issue for the thumb, as many piper=style players keep their left thumb riding up along the flute body far away from the key touch.
Hope this helps!
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

thanks