Unusual and Unknown

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Unusual and Unknown

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Curious if anyone is familiar with this tune: http://youtu.be/q_ndF8MGtSg. I learned it from a scrap of sheet music containing it and another tune from my teacher. She thought it might be a Conal O'grada tune, but no one I've played it for from here to Ireland seems to know anything about it. It's got a strange, octave-jumping B section and an unusual descending C part.

And yes I always seem to rush on camera :/.
accordionstu

Re: Unusual and Unknown

Post by accordionstu »

Not sure what it's called, ive just checked my recordings of Conal Grada, Cnoc Bui, but cant find those tunes. Nicely played anyway.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Without checking yet ... It sounds like it might be a version of The Morning Dew.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

MTGuru wrote:Without checking yet ... It sounds like it might be a version of The Morning Dew.

I don't think so, but I do (dew?) appreciate your suggestion. The Morning Dew is a great tune though.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Sounds to me like Colonel Frazer, track 1 of Conal O'Grada's 1st album "Top of Coom"
MadmanWithaWhistle

kkrell wrote:Sounds to me like Colonel Frazer, track 1 of Conal O'Grada's 1st album "Top of Coom"
I know Colonel Frasier's as this tune: http://youtu.be/hTO1JnwvdoE and in G, not A minor. Thanks though! Any other thoughts?
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

If you listen hard enough any tune you don't know sounds like bits of other tunes. Which is not quite the same thing as saying they all sound the same. (But of course ultimately they do. :) )

So... first bit sounds like second part of Fintan McManus' (Guns of the magnificent 7?). Third part can't quite make up its mind to be the second part of Sweeney's Buttermilk or another tune whose name eludes me just now. Second part has echoes of 2nd part of Paddy Ryan's Dream. There that was a big help now wasn't it.