Unusual Session Instruments.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Unusual Session Instruments.

Post by colomon »

plunk111 wrote:I've seen a clarinet... Not a bad sound but a bit tough on the clarinettist as you have to add 2 sharps to everything (and most of our stuff is already in a sharp key).
I'd think an A clarinet (common in orchestral music) would be the thing to use with ITM. (Well, the G mentioned above would be even better, I suppose, but as far as I know those are far less common.)

The guys keep on encouraging me to bring my bassoon to the session...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

colomon wrote:The guys keep on encouraging me to bring my bassoon to the session...
I think you should do it. Just the once, of course. They'll talk about it for years. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Elle

Post by Elle »

At the Cobblestone in August.

posted image
walrii

Post by walrii »

I played whistles for a while with a bluegrass circle. Same format as a session and a few of the same tunes. I was the only non-string instrument in the circle, so I was the "unusual instrument."
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

colomon wrote:
plunk111 wrote:I've seen a clarinet... Not a bad sound but a bit tough on the clarinettist as you have to add 2 sharps to everything (and most of our stuff is already in a sharp key).
I'd think an A clarinet (common in orchestral music) would be the thing to use with ITM. (Well, the G mentioned above would be even better, I suppose, but as far as I know those are far less common.)
G clarinets with Albert System keywork are commonly used in Turkish music, they are also known as Turkish clarinets. The fingering on the bottom octave is very similar to a keyed D flute (including foot with extra notes for C#, C and B). Six fingers down plays a D, and the scale going up lifting one finger after another is the D scale with F# and C#. F nat is played forked, C nat as well, or with a C nat key. So it is easy to migrate from flute or whistle fingering to G Albert system clarinet. - But because it is not Boehm system, it is not regarded a "proper" clarinet fit for classical music. It has less keys and therefore less scale possibilities than a Boehm system clarinet. But just listen to Turkish clarinet players to hear how expressively such clarinets can be played!
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

just ran across a similar discussion on The Session:

https://thesession.org/discussions/34861