Ormiston Keyed flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Anyone out there have direct experience with Ormiston keyed flutes?
I'm curious how they compare to some of the other keyed flutes out there.

I've looked back over the archives for this forum and read what's there - David Migoya suggested checking the woodenflute archives, unfortunately they're not available at the moment. Can anyone remember what general opinion was/

Loren
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I think I already rendered an opinion on the keyed Ormiston to you, Loren, so no need to go further here. Yet, I did want to note that of the model that I sold a couple months ago, the long-F and C"-natural key do collide with each other as you separate the parts, so for anyone who gets one, do be careful. Otherwise you can rip the posts out of one of them. Not sure why George keeps them at the same level. That's why Rudall opted for that cool-looking shank curve so players wouldn't rip the block-mount shoulders off the flute!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2001-11-20 01:03, David Migoya wrote:
I think I already rendered an opinion on the keyed Ormiston to you, Loren, so no need to go further here.
David,

Actually, I've never asked about the Orimiston's before, so it wasn't me you may have shared your opinion with. In the archives you simply suggest the person asking check the woodenflute archives and you mention that you wouldn't render an opinion on the board - perhaps because you had an Ormiston for sale at the time? I'm not sure.

Anyway, thatnks for the insight on the keywork, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on the playability and intonation of Gerorge's keyed flutes as well - either on or off board, which ever suits you.

Cheers,

Loren
croberts

Post by croberts »

Hi Loren,

I play an Ormiston 6 key flute and love it. It has very good intonation and plenty of volume. It can be played reedy or fairly sweet. One negative - when I got it, it was a 4 key flute (no C Nat). The crossfingered C Nat was weak and out of tune. After having the C Nat and long F keys added, I had no complaints at all (other than my playing). George Ormiston was easy to work with and very prompt in his work and email.
Compared with a Healy 5 key that I used to own, the Ormiston has slightly less volume and as good of a tone, but is much easier for me to play in tune.

Chris Roberts
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks for the feedback Chris :smile:

Loren
DanD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DanD »

Loren -
Woodenflute list archives are back online - go to woodenflute.com and check in the August, September, and October 2001 archives. Overall opinion seems to be very good.

Dan
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Loren:
You're right! I didn't render a public opinion at the time because I did, indeed, have an 8-key Ormiston for sale. Don't want anyone accusing me of a conflict of interest!
But now that it's sold, I can say I did like it a lot. Grand flute with nice sweet tone, easy to handle and blow. Not huge volume, but loud nonetheless.
I must admit, however, that I had a client who had it for trial and was about to purchase it until I received a Cotter flute and recommended that one instead and she bought the Cotter. Take it for what it's worth.
I hope the woodenflute list helps you with more of your decision.
And, yes, George is a gem to deal with.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks David, I appreciate the info. :smile:

Interesting about the Cotter. I actually tried to contact him about buying a new flute, before I found Copley, but although I was promised a response, Mr. Cotter never got back to me, so I moved on.

Guess customer service isn't a priority for Mr. Cotter, something to think about for folks considering the purchase of a brand new Cotter flute......

Loren