Learning tunes you don't like

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Learning tunes you don't like

Post by benhall.1 »

E-n-n-n-n-y-way ...

Back to the general topic ... there are only two tunes I literally can't stand, and I won't learn them. I'm talking about good tunes. Just ones that I'm not so fond of. And, applied more generally, I wonder if most - all? - of us learn a fair few tunes we're not so keen on just for that "social context" (or whatever the phrase was). I mean, there are very few sessions where I think, at the end "Gosh! Every single tune tonight was a true classic!" OTOH, there aren't many tunes that I don't like. I like most of them. But, if there's a tune that keeps coming up and I'm not so keen - as, for instance, Beare Island has of late - should I learn it anyway? I mean, part of me thinks it's just going with the flow. Kind of "If you can't beat them, join them" kind of thing.

[Cross-post with Nano. And I love Sally Gardens as well. How could you not?]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:E-n-n-n-n-y-way ...

Back to the general topic ... there are only two tunes I literally can't stand, and I won't learn them.
So Beare Island would have made it three - and what are the other two? Maybe revealing this will help us get to the bottom of your malaise. :wink:
benhall.1 wrote:But, if there's a tune that keeps coming up and I'm not so keen - as, for instance, Beare Island has of late - should I learn it anyway? I mean, part of me thinks it's just going with the flow. Kind of "If you can't beat them, join them" kind of thing.
I'd suggest dropping the "should" thing, for starters. I think it's fine to have a rationale for doing it - again, social motivation, or the challenge of mastering a difficult tune just because it furthers your abilities, or it galls you that the sessioner you respect (or despise, as the case may be) can play it but you can't. Whatever, so long as you're clear on what you're about. As for not doing it, the fact that you don't feel like it ought to do. :)
benhall.1 wrote:And I love Sally Gardens as well. How could you not?
Well, I'm certainly looking more and more like a contrarian around the likes of you, aren't I. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:

Back to the general topic ... there are only two tunes I literally can't stand, and I won't learn them.
So Beare Island would have made it three - and what are the other two? Maybe revealing this will help us get to the bottom of your malaise. :wink:
I've said 'em before around here, but anyway, they're The Jug of Slugs and that wretched, worst tune ever, bleedin' Tam bloody Lin, aka the friggin' Glasgow. :evil:
Nanohedron wrote:
Well, I'm certainly looking more and more like a contrarian around the likes of you, aren't I. :wink:
Next you're going to tell me you don't like The Irish Washerwoman! :boggle:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

I've said 'em before around here, but anyway, they're The Jug of Slugs and that wretched, worst tune ever, bleedin' Tam bloody Lin, aka the friggin' Glasgow. :evil:
Then I can't help you. I too don't play them.
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Next you're going to tell me you don't like The Irish Washerwoman! :boggle:
No, it's just that I simply don't play that, either, is all. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:I used to dislike the Sally Gardens until I heard a world-class fluter treat it as a slow reel full of all sorts of ornamental encrustations; the end result was honestly tasty and changed my attitude about the tune entirely. It was a demonstration of how a tune, any tune, has the potential to be made attractive, and it was a revelation to me.
Sally Gardens the reel (which I like) and not Salley Gardens the song (beloved by every beginner whistler and his dog), right?
benhall.1 wrote:I've said 'em before around here, but anyway, they're The Jug of Slugs
You literally can't stand something by the great G.S. McLennan? Oh, Ben, how could you?

(Perhaps because you're too used to hearing it murdered as an 'Irish jig'!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Two tunes that bore me to tears are 'The Butterfly' which i do play along as not being rude and 'The wise maid' which i use as an excuse to go for another pint or to ..relieve myself..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I used to dislike the Sally Gardens until I heard a world-class fluter treat it as a slow reel full of all sorts of ornamental encrustations; the end result was honestly tasty and changed my attitude about the tune entirely. It was a demonstration of how a tune, any tune, has the potential to be made attractive, and it was a revelation to me.
Sally Gardens the reel (which I like) and not Salley Gardens the song (beloved by every beginner whistler and his dog), right?
I guess I made the mistake of thinking that the words in red would have taken care of any misunderstanding. :wink:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:I guess I made the mistake of thinking that the words in red would have taken care of any misunderstanding. :wink:
Not when you could just about do the same to the song! :P
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I guess I made the mistake of thinking that the words in red would have taken care of any misunderstanding. :wink:
Not when you could just about do the same to the song! :P
A disturbing thought.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I've said 'em before around here, but anyway, they're The Jug of Slugs
You literally can't stand something by the great G.S. McLennan? Oh, Ben, how could you?
It's probably because I'm too used to hearing it murdered as an Irish jig. :wink:
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Personally I only learn tunes that I like, but I have found that tunes I may have disliked 5 years ago, later grew on me and I now like them. I used to dislike reels, cant remember why but now I find myself looking for the more challenging reels and giving them a go.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

accordionstu wrote:Personally I only learn tunes that I like, but I have found that tunes I may have disliked 5 years ago, later grew on me and I now like them. I used to dislike reels, cant remember why but now I find myself looking for the more challenging reels and giving them a go.
What? All reels? I find that there isn't a category of tunes that I don't like - I like something of every tune type. And I haven't even particularly any favourite categories. I happily play reels, polkas, jigs, hornpipes, barndances, marches, waltzes, mazurkas, redowas, military twosteps, slip jigs, single jigs, slides, hop jigs, airs and one or two tunes not covered in that list.

In fact, really, as I said, there are only two tunes I just can't bring myself to play, one of which is a jig and one a reel.

I think you're absolutely right though, accordionstu, that tunes that you (I) didn't like at one time then grow on you (me). I usually find that this is because I hear a good player playing them and I suddenly understand what the tune's about. Believe it or not, I didn't used to like The Woman of the House until I heard a good fluter playing it. I love the tune now. :)
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I didn't get reels as much as I did with other trad music, having played button accordion for years, I preferred the jaunty Hornpipes and these travelled well onto the flute. I am enjoying reels more now but when i hear some players playing them so ridiculously fast, i just switch off because the tune is lost in a fog of notes and isn't enjoyable anymore.
I will give the Woman of the house a try , what would you recommend to go with it Ben?
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

accordionstu wrote:I will give the Woman of the house a try , what would you recommend to go with it Ben?
Try The Bank of Ireland before it. That pairing has a provenance, as it used to be played so by Bobby Casey, IIRC. Besides, The Bank of Ireland is a cracking tune on wind instruments. A real winner.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There are a lot of notes in it though. Or there were, before the recession.
My brain hurts