Willie Clancy Week pictures 2014

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Willie Clancy Week pictures 2014

Post by Mr.Gumby »

With each Willie week coming up I tell myself I will hold off on taking pictures (concert pictures are a constant struggle avoiding microphones and sometimes having to content with them ruining the shot, which makes a large portion of them unsatisfying) and if I take pictures I won't put them on the net. And then, the thing arrives and I do it anyway.

I have avoided a few of the regular faces, doing this every year sometimes gives you the feeling you're taking the same shot over and over again. I am also including some of the recitals I didn't go to in previous years, so from the Monday there's a rake of harpers. So far also fiddlers, some scenes from a lovely Tuesday afternoon celebrating fifty years of Cór Cuil Aodha, which was unusually held in the church. Mick Tubridy and Seán Keane evoking memories of Ceoltoiri Chualainn playing the Ríl Mór below the altar and Peadar O Riada unexpectedly joining on the church organ from the gallery above, lovely. And a good bunch of whistlers from the Tuesday night concert, Ann and Nicky McAuliffe were a special treat, lovely tunes and playing.

Pictures are more or less in chronological order, being added during the week as I take them.

Willie Clancy Summer School 2014
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Willie Clancy Week pictures 2014

Post by Mr Ed »

Thanks for sharing those! A lot of great shots, and I'll have to take more time when checking them out again later. I especially like the black and white photos and the "action shots" that capture the musicians getting lost in the music. :thumbsup:
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Thanks for sharing, nice pics!
Is that a Generation tube on Mary Bergin's Sindt? In that case it makes me feel better replacing mine with Feadóg on one and Generation on the other :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I especially like the black and white photos and the "action shots" that capture the musicians getting lost in the music
I did a lot of B&W in some years (see WCSS 2012 for example) so I decided to go for more colour this year, mind you the light in the main hall is a bit drab looking. Also, I was asked to do pictures of a concert earlier this year, while I was taking pics my wife looked at them and said 'ah you're doing your introverted inward looking musicians again aren't you?' so I have included a few that get away from that a bit. The B&W worked very well on Paul Dooley though.
Is that a Generation tube on Mary Bergin's Sindt?

That was my first reaction too but it's just a little piece or reddish tape stuck on there so there's no way of telling.

[fixed typo]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

As always, lovely images! I look forward to the photos every year. A mighty thank you for shooting AND sharing, annually. :)

So why haven't all the music instrument makers of the world incorporated microphones (chips of some sort) into their design? Adding cost, yes, but, thus eliminating poles and padded spheres intruding upon the sacred image. At least the whistle, flute, and harmonica makers. :D There's the money of invention.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Lovely stuff, thanks as always for sharing Mr. Gumby!
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have added what is probably the last batch (the official bit is over and I don't expect to get a lot more today: I am more likely to sit down and play today).

Peadar O Riada summed it up well for me before Cór Cuil Aodha wrapped up things when he said we're all here together again and we'll be here again next year and do it all over again and we part now in the knowledge that there will be one or two that won't be there next year. But that's life and we'll keep gathering up here to enjoy the company and the music, welcome the new faces and mourn the ones who left during the year, until it's our turn to get off the bus.

So that's it.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Amazing photos as always! As I've said in the past, you have a real talent and you should publish what we call a "coffee table book" about Irish Traditional Music with your photos.

Such books, and indeed any Irish-themed book, will sell well here in the States due to the vast number of people who self-identify as "Irish-Americans".

For such a publication they'd take out all those brightly coloured microphones... quite easy to do in Photoshop. Or, at the least, take the colour out of them and make them a neutral tone.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Thank you for the week. And, yes, a coffee table book would be nice and well received here.

Also, I realize the photos are posted publically, but, would you mind my further sharing? Nothing commercial.

Lastly, I try to avoid the bus altogether and prefer the merry-go-round. :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I did end up in town, where it was sunny and pleasant and not too busy, just about enough people around. Basically the locals reclaiming the place and a few visitors thrown in for variety. Played the pipes, and a bit of whistle, for a few hours before going home to cook a dinner (we're back to more sensible food after the week). A very pleasant ending to this year's Willie week. Got a few nice shots of one of the old local fluteplayers who would normally not play out much. So, all's well.

Books of the pipemaking series and the music photos, an exhibition, a serious solo piping recording, visits to overseas tionols, even just playing out more regularly. Yes, I know. People try twist my arm sometimes. Can't see it happen though. Michael Coady wrote about Packie Russell:
When the question of leaving Doolin to play in other parts of the country arose Packie was an indecisive Hamlet who couldn't commit himself. I remember a German promoter trying to persuade him to accompany Micho on a tour of Germany. For five nights in a row the man drank and talked with Packie., and Packie engaged in all kinds of ambiguity and convoluted indecision. On the sixth night the promoter did not appear, but came again on the seventh to make one last attempt before he returned to Germany.

'My dear friend', Packie said, 'if you had come here last night I would have gone to the moon with you, but tonight even Ennistymon would best me...'
I can identify with that story.
My brain hurts