scottish repertoire on A/D (14p) cornemuse?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

scottish repertoire on A/D (14p) cornemuse?

Post by Gabriel »

Hi,

I've been musing about border pipes and scottish repertoire during the last weeks - I like the border pipes, but from reading a lot on the web I learn that, despite not reaching the volume GHBs get, they're usually still quite loud, at least "they" say that about the easily available border pipes like Garvies. And difficult to control and and and. So I was wondering if anybody tried playing scottish repertoire on a 14 pouces A/D cornemuse? Slightly different fingering of course, but the range is the same (even bigger up to high d), six fingers down give A, seven down G, all the ornamentation should work the same etc., but they're supposed to be less loud - could that work?

I've read that Jon Swayne makes a cornemuse-inspired "border pipe" in A, but couldn't find more information about that.

Cheers,
G
brad maloney

Re: scottish repertoire on A/D (14p) cornemuse?

Post by brad maloney »

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but if you want less volume have you considered Scottish Smallpipes? Same fingering, and basics are somewhat similar. although I don't personally like when they are played exactly like GHB's. SSP's are there own instrument and I think they deserve their own approach
Play Happy
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

These sets play at around a fiddle volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaw02HWofAI

But I'd love to find out if anyone is playing Scottish stuff on French pipes.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Talking of J Swayne , his lowland chanter/reed combo is pretty mild as 'border' chanters go. Dont let an instruments difficulty put you off,. or yll never be a piper 8)
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Gabriel wrote:they're usually still quite loud, at least "they" say that about the easily available border pipes like Garvies. And difficult to control and and and.
But 'they' aren't necessarily right. And I've got Garvie border pipes. Though Moores are likely to be quieter (Fin Moore's own set at the 2013 LBPS comp. being the sweetest I've heard), which probably doesn't help unless they're taking orders again...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
robehickman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by robehickman »

I have a set of swane G's which have a nice tone to them. While they are pritty loud, they have a much less 'cutty'/shrill sound than the highland pipe, which I've never liked the sound of, and still don't. I mainly use the pipes for playing with the morris side, playing ocarina/flute otherwise. There is good crossover as the Swane G set has the same basic rage as a 10 hole G ocarina.

From what Jack Campin has told me, higland pipe tunes when not played on the pipes (fiddle etc), are played in the key of G. So A G set would probably work.

As others have said, the smallpipes also have a much softer tone.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

robehickman wrote:From what Jack Campin has told me, higland pipe tunes when not played on the pipes (fiddle etc), are played in the key of G.
Dunno what Jack's told you, but have to say I just don't get that!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?