TSA Airline/Musician policy:Important!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TnWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

TSA Airline/Musician policy:Important!

Post by TnWhistler »

In case you have not heard this yet... it is for real:

Good news for musicians! The American Federation of Musicians (AFM) has negotiated with the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) to secure the right for any musicians to carry on their instruments on airline flights.

They recommend that you print a copy of the letter of agreement and carry it with you, being prepared to show it to security personnel should there be a problem. Below is a link to the AMF page. Go to that page, and click on "here" to download a copy of the agreement in Adobe Acrobat Format.

www.local1000.com/carryon.html

Carry on lads! Hah, get it I sa.... oh hell, never mind

Timmy
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Woooo-Hooooo!!!!

That's great news! No more difficulties with guards asking 'wot the hell's that?' and all.

Now all I need's a gig..... (sigh)

Mrk
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Just a minute there, you still might have to take it out and show them, this just allows you to carry it on as carry-on, it'll still need to be screened and maybe inspected. Try getting my Daye BRass Penny Chanter through. I fly every week, they all know me now.

Tim
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks so much, Tim.

Best,
N
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

It also helps to call ahead, speak to a supervisor and get their name and prior approval (you can fax them a copy of this agreement if they get sticky on the point). That way when you talk to people who might not have much of a clue, you can say "so and so approved it and here is an additional copy of the agreement between the airlines and AFM."

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

I am fascinated by this. I know it says you can take an instrument as a carry-on, but surely there are size limits. I mean, you could not likely get away with an upright bass or piano. Does this agreement just mean that you can carry an instrument on board if it meets the regular carry-on baggage size limits or at least will fit in an overhead bin? I am not trying to be to doubting here, just interested in if there are more details known. Thanks!
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
ston

Re: TSA Airline/Musician policy:Important!

Post by ston »

Just a warning to people with a slow connection: the pdf file linked to on that page is huge, 1.5 megabytes. It took me a minute or two to download over my dsl connection....

-David
(Feverishly playing around with my new Patrick Murray starter set)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Liestman, I am under the impression that an upright bass would entail a 2nd ticket because of the space it would take: where could it go, but occupy another seat? An uilleann pipe case might be allowable; I know of one fellow who breaks down his D set enough to fit it in a viola case for the purpose. I would, as mentioned, call ahead. I might have to pay extra if I were slinging my cittern along because of the size, but I haven't flown with it yet, and it may vary per airline. Best to call ahead, for sure.

I am puzzled by one thing: does one have to be a member of the American Federation of Musicians for this document to apply? On the 2nd point, there is the phrase "Should your membership experience problems..." --I would hate to make a mistake like that: "Well, here's the document!" --"And your membership card, sir?" Anybody know, offhand?
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

The Union's site says only "musicians" on the first page. I wouldn't think the TSA would limit this to union musicians.

We'd send a coulpe of union thugs with practice sets to kneecap 'em. :lol:

Timmy
brianc

TSA...

Post by brianc »

Take what you hear from TSA with a grain of salt.

Remind yourself that it is nothing more than a large, federalized bureacracy, and that airports will differ, and so will individual screeners.

If the screener is having a bad, day, nothing you can say, or do, or produce (this "agreement") is going to help get you on board. And the more you protest their "law", the more attention you will attract to yourself - and that is something that you DO NOT want to do at airport security.

Don't go looking for common sense where none has existed before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Amen to that.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I guess the safest thing is having a case that fits the carry-on size requirement.

As i absolutely refuse to have my pipes in the cargo hold.., i am getting a case just like that... :)
Big Mick

Post by Big Mick »

First off, Tim, I am a Union Organizer of over 25 years experience. I have met a few fellows that were "rough" in that time, but not anywhere near as many as I have met in other professions. I guess what I am saying is that I resent the "Union thug" characterization. It is yet another example of a generalization that is not founded in fact being passed off. <b>To the rest of those here, please do not turn this into a topic of discussion. I have registered my complaint, let it die here.</b> PM me if you feel the need to discuss this further.<br><br>I carried on a guitar for years. I would ask to board with first class (I was travelling coach) so I could get to the overhead bin first. I would then tuck it up and in the back of the bin on its edge. This left plenty of room for everyone elses bag. So a set of UP's certainly should not be a problem.<br.<br>

All the best,<br><br>

Mick
All the best,

Big Mick Lane
brianc

Post by brianc »

Mick,

That's a clever idea, and I may give it a try next time.

However, getting a gate attendant to have some sympathy is one thing - having a TSA agent at the security screening not turn a simple request into a one-man Spanish Inquisition is another.
If you don't get past TSA, the request to board with the 1st class passengers will be moot.

PS: My sister works for TSA. Oh! The stories...
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Big Mick,

My apologies, about the union thing, I mave e-mailed you, and hope this clears things. No offense, just a joke, but was offensive to you and I am sorry. You don't ever want to piss a guy off named "BIG MICK" anyway. Nicknames like that are usually based in some sort of fact. :wink:

My bad. hope all is well.

Tim