Lough Key

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Lough Key

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I am completely smitten with this slip jig. I first heard it on a recording of Irish accordion music (Jimmy Keane on "The Big Squeeze"), and it's rattled around it my head forever, but I never knew the name. Recently a friend reminded me of Peter Carberry and Padraig McGovern's brilliant recording "Forgotten Gems," and bingo, there it was in all its wonderfulness.

Anyway, I'm learning it, but am puzzled. Carberry and McGovern play it this way (rough ABCs):

X: 1
T: Lough Key
M: 9/8
L: 1/8
R: slip jig
K:Gmaj
|:AGE EDB, DEG|dBA ABd edg|dBA AGE EDB,|DB,A, A,B,D E2B:|
|:~G3 BGd c2e|~G3 BdB cAF|~G3 DBB DGF|1 E2G AGF G2D:|2 E2G AGF GAB||

And Jimmy Keane plays it this way (2nd tune in the set here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgX2Aos6g2I)

X: 1
T: Lough Key
M: 9/8
L: 1/8
R: slip jig
K:Gmaj
|:~G3 BGd c2e|~G3 BdB cAF|~G3 DBB DGF|1 E2G AGF G2D:|2 E2G AGF GAB||
|:AGE EDB, DEG|dBA ABd edg|dBA AGE EDB,|DB,A, A,B,D E2B:|

Essentially, the A and B parts are swapped. So I don't know where to start! I like both ways just fine, but should probably settle on something. So, any opinions on the door to Lough Key? I looked it up on The Session, but things got very tangled very quickly. Being the clever gal I am, I wondered why not make a mess over here, too? ;-)

I'd also love any additional information on this nifty little tune that some call "Larry Redican's" but some say that's wrong too. Either way, it's a dandy. Thanks for any illumination you can provide!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Lough Key

Post by NicoMoreno »

Zina lee posted it to thesession the second way, and gives a citation to liner notes for evidence that Larry redican composed it, so I guess that's right enough. Forgotten gems says the same, too.

As far as a or b, whichever makes you happiest! I've started playing a slip jig starting and ending on the a part, and there's one polka I like starting with one time through the a part, then playing the a part twice every time after, and finally ending on one time through the a part again. It's all fun.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks, Nic! Coming from you that makes me feel better. Now if I could just get Larry to see it MY way .... ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

As always, compromise is the key when playing with others.

I did after all say that I like to... Not that Alison agrees, always :twisted:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I know about that! But if these are the worst of our relationship issues, we're lucky people.