bag for gaidi?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

bag for gaidi?

Post by pancelticpiper »

I made a purchase on Ebay yesterday that left me wondering "why did I do that?"

But the price was so low I thought "why not?"

It was two complete gaidi, a complete Macedonian gaida and a complete Bulgarian gaida, which came from some estate sale. They appeared to be quality vintage instruments.

No bags though!

After years of trouble with gaida bags I want something absolutely maintenance-free.

Does anyone have experience with using Canmore GHB bags for a gaida? Or L&M bags? Neither require any seasoning or care and stay airtight forever.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: bag for gaidi?

Post by MichaelLoos »

A man called Jesus Baptista makes these:

http://www.bilderhoster.net/lay63blt.jpg.html

As you see, they are in goat shape, made from Goretex-like material. He intends to sell them for approx. 50 Euros.
The size he currently makes is fine for Macedonian and for Kaba gaida. I am presently convincing him to make smaller bags for djura gaida.
I don't know anything more, as I just got into contact with him a couple of days ago.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks Michael! That's exactly what I had in mind.

Please let me know if you find out anything more. When I click on that link all I get is a photo showing to gaida bags and a popup advert about purses, no information or pricing about the gaida bags.

Thanks! Richard
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

The link is just the photo which I uploaded.
He sent it to me to show what theses bags look like.
I'll keep you informed. Is your gaida a djura or a kaba gaida?
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

There are two- just all the wood parts- a Macedonian gaida and a Bulgarian djura gaida.

Not sure of the key of either until I get them reeded up. Time to get some more practice making gaida reeds!

So the big Macedonian/Kaba size will be fine for one of the two, at least.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

If the chanter of the djura gaida is just over 10 inches long, it is a G gaida (G is the lowest tone, the keynote is D).
Jesus sent me the dimensions of the bags he presently makes, laid out flat:
(32 cm = 12.6", 74 cm = 29.1")
We are still working out the perfect, one-size-fits-all dimensions for the djura gaida bags, it will take another couple of days.
Jesus let me know that he can sew the Goretex material together with raw cotton fabric, to emulate the colour of the salt-cured goatskin.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks!

The Bulgarian djura gaida's chanter is around 10.5 inches long, as you surmised.

The Macedonian gaida came with two chanters: 9 inches long, and 11 inches long.

No reeds!

The Macedonian drone is massive, especially the end section, much fatter than a Kaba Gaida's drone.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Juraj Dufek is also selling gortex and tanned hide bags that are goat shaped. If the above source doesn't work out give him a try.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

I would very much like to purchase one of Jesus' large Macedonian-size bags with the cotton layer, so I can get my Macedonian gaida up and running.

Do you have contact information for him?

Thanks! Richard
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

You can contact him on Facebook (Jesus Baptista).
I asked him to check out the shipping cost to California,and I'm still awaiting his response.
The idea with the cotton didn't work out due to the woven structure, he will be using alcantara instead. This is not so easy to come by at a reasonable price, he is waiting for samples from England and a sample which I sent him two days ago of a material which I can get in Germany.
He is presently making templates for djura and for kaba gaida bags, we estimate that the first bags of these sizes can be finished at the beginning of June, provided that all required materials arrive in time.
Just out of interest: were the gaidi you bought shipped from Tarzana, CA? If they were, I bought one from the same guy...
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

PM sent.