3d printed small/parlour pipes w/ 2 octave chanter

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
highland-piper
antispam: No

Re: 3d printed small/parlour pipes w/ 2 octave chanter

Post by highland-piper »

If you're still taking requests, I'd love to hear Neil Gows Lament for the Death of His Second Wife on SSP. It's such a beautiful tune.
donaldlindsay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by donaldlindsay »

That's on the list, definitely! I've been working on it.

Today I was trying "The Auld Wheel" by Scott Skinner - those low D's really stand out!

Any more requests?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:Two-and-half octaves, but Julian didn't even develop the chanter specially (though it does have some keys which help). There are articles by Julian and Callum about it in the June 2012 Common Stock (LBPS journal) and I've heard him do it.

Whether the high notes are genuinely useful or more of a party trick is another debate, but Callum at least composes for them and uses them in his performances.
Heard Callum play his and Julian's latest chanter at the LBPS Competition today and have to say we're now talking way beyond tricks and into truly useful and exciting developments. And think Callum also said they're going for three octaves!
donaldlindsay wrote:And yet… it doesn't use keys, and plays from D below the stave, up through the existing pipe scale (unchanged), to a high 'b'.
As demonstrated by Donald at the same event today, done by doubling the bore back underneath the chanter and (I think) giving the low notes to the thumbs, so not quite the overblowing-with-clarinet-style-break some were assuming.

So two quite separate but potentially complementary/combinable streams of development going on here.

:)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

very interesting, cheers
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs