IMPROVING the Concert chanter tone & expressiveness?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glasba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

IMPROVING the Concert chanter tone & expressiveness?

Post by glasba »

Hello,

Any idea how to squeeze every bit of tone, expressivness & different colors out of great Concert chanters & use all the potential character there is in that stick. Asking moustly for SLOW playing, which is real challenge for being astonishing!

...To get max. of that praised qualities which great flat chanters possess - i.e. wide pallet & variety of colors, note strengths - increased dynamic & volume effects, cross fingering effects... you know => the wider pitch & tonal variation if you use old fingerings...

I gues learning to make great reeds, try many fingerings inc. the old 19th century ones & learn using lots of cross fingerings + half holing is a start.

Did you mybe noticed & remember anything unusual/unique what the players who play very rich in style do[/b] (David Power, B. Koehler & many others)...when playing certain notes, doing ornaments, shaping the sound, doing vibrato, opening holes, venting...

Focused observing while they play live would help, but not possible. Thanks a lot, AA
Last edited by glasba on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mr.Gumby

Re: IMPROVING the Concert chanter tone & expressiveness?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There really isn't any mystery to it. You sit down, forget about fingering charts and find the different ways your chanter/reed combination allows you to play a note, to colour it and blend it with the drones. You play it by ear. And I wouldn't agree this is just relevant to slow music, maybe less obvious (to some) in fast music but just as important.
My brain hurts

nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

In my opinion Mr. Gumby is absolutely correct. Past the beginner/intermediate level fingering charts are advisory only. Depends on your reed, your chanter & most importantly your ear.

Nick Whitmer
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

You're right. The ear will be the judge - I'm always overthinking... Thanks!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

nwhitmer wrote:In my opinion Mr. Gumby is absolutely correct. Past the beginner/intermediate level fingering charts are advisory only. Depends on your reed, your chanter & most importantly your ear.

Nick Whitmer
So Nick,

On the chanter I have from you the 'C' is sharp. I suck at being able to 'shave' the note…. so, what finger do you suggest?
Arbo
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The fine tuning of the C is a job for the piper. You adjust the pitch as required. If you're not good at it, you practice it until you are. It's not a push button, fixed pitch instrument.
My brain hurts

CHasR

Post by CHasR »

its just a matter of sitting down with your chanter & instead of playing a tune, discover what its really capable of & then going on to exploit that. Take it note by note, see what shades of colour can go on each one by doing this, that, or some other nuance... what kind of 'envelope' suits each note best... how then to mess with the envelope for contrast...Vibrato, is it deep, is it shallow...is is a fast or slow oscillation,,,will it oscillate at the same rate during the tone, or will it begin slow, then speed up, then slow again???...then there is the matter of connecting all the necessary notes, which is yet another op for lots of exploration & exploitation. Finally comes putting all the learned resources together to express a unique perspective in music.

IMHO FWIW, theres a lot to be said for finger control, not in terms of making the fingering in time & in tune, but HOW one closes & opens the vents. its so much more than just on / off. :)
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Mr.Gumby wrote:The fine tuning of the C is a job for the piper. You adjust the pitch as required. If you're not good at it, you practice it until you are. It's not a push button, fixed pitch instrument.

I love this! So true..
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.