Wooden flute and 5 string banjo

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Ketil
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Wooden flute and 5 string banjo

Post by Ketil »

Have anyone done or heard this combo before? I am sure it has been done.. I have a friend that plays the 5 string banjo (3 finger Scruggs style) and we are planning to get together with a guitarplayer and play some tunes. We need some inspiration and maybe some tips on what tunes would fit (Banjo tuned in open G, D flute)

Any recordings or youtube clips you know of? No songs please, just tunes.
We have no intention on keeping it strictly ITM so we are open for inspiration!

Ketil
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Wooden flute and 5 string banjo

Post by kenny »

Try "Googling" "Buffalo In The Castle". Individual tracks can be listened to and purchased through "iTunes".
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Seamus Egan guests on this great album by banjo-player Stephen Wade:

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Parlor-St ... B0000012F0
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

There is a 5 string player, Jerry Maloney in St. Louis, and at my local session we have Jim on 5 string. Sounds fine to me when I'm playing flute with Jim and years back when I played a few times with Jerry.

With Jim, there are a few tunes only he and I so, so apart from backers it's just us and I really like it.

Eric
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Paddy Carty's classic irish flute LP has a banjo accompanist; iirc it's a five string.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Paddy Carty was accompanied by Mick O'Connor on tenor-banjo [ 4-strings ], not a 5-string banjo. It's very plain to see on the front cover of the original LP gatefold sleeve.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
walrii

Post by walrii »

I'd play whatever tunes you all know. Play them and see if they sound good. If not, try another tune you all know! Sometimes it's worth just playing for the fun of it and see what comes out.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

http://youtu.be/MCEcgLJyUA4

This is with fiddle, not flute - but Jonny Toman has a nice approach and blends well. The clip is a bit over-arranged for my tastes, but it's overall very nice.

FWIW I think bare fingers, a lighter touch and melodic thumb-dropping would work better than scruggs style which is inherently an 'in your face' style - Irish trad is traditionally a much more understated style.

It can and does work, I used to hear Tom Hanway sit in on sessions a lot when I was in the NYC area.
Play Happy