NEW RELEASE - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: NEW RELEASE - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I realize that this may be a stupid question but did they call it the eighteen Moloney because it was 18 inches long?
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:I realize that this may be a stupid question but did they call it the eighteen Moloney because it was 18 inches long?
Yes! But its not the chanter it refer's too, its Moloney's trouser drone that was eighteen inches long. A common occurrence amongst Irishmen.
Happy St Patrick's Day

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:I realize that this may be a stupid question but did they call it the eighteen Moloney because it was 18 inches long?
Dan,

David's website has plenty of info on the chanter.

http://www.davidpowerup.com/the-eighteen-moloney.html
PJ
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

PJ wrote:
Dan,

David's website has plenty of info on the chanter.

http://www.davidpowerup.com/the-eighteen-moloney.html
Thanks, Patrick. I'd read that... I think I'm missing something. I'll read it again.
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Hi Dan,
yes, this is correct that the chanter is 18'', but the chanter now has a little ivory ring at the bottom and a longer brass ferrule which extends the length by about two millimetres. The detail of the ivory ring at the bottom is very nice and it looks like it was done quite a while ago, the brass ferrule is tapered and seamed.

Regards,

David
jimbabwe

Post by jimbabwe »

Arrived today, a work of art and a total joy to listen to, I have not bought any music for yonks (e.g.since Ennis died),listened to a lot ,but nothing would entice me to untrouser any foldables until I heard samples of this ,and knew instinctively that it would be a bit special. Beautiful playing by ,in my opinion, one of the top three living pipers around today, splendid versions of great tunes , a rare gem, and absolute gold dust to all the young aspiring pipers out there, who may well be confused as to which piping path to follow, or perhaps what to really listen to at the early stage of their piping careers.
I would recommend getting hold of this as soon as possible, listen to it often,until it is well embedded in your memory,and you cannot possibly go wrong on your piping quest, that is ,of course, depending on your progression through the initial stage of technique development,which may well be at an early stage for some.
I am an old boy and have taken up piping again after a few decades away from it, fingers and head do not liaise very well, a sort of a paraffin oil piper, so to speak,for want of a better description,but I do still enjoy it. Great pipes being made today,great archives compiled, loads of material out there.Wish it was like this when I first developed an interest. Well done,David, put another one together over the next few years, if you get the time, we will all be waiting!!
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Thank you Jim, high and humbling praise indeed. It is difficult to record a completely solo album of piping and make it stick, and I think you need something to inspire you. For me it has been a new instrument, in the case of my first album, it was that marvellous C set that Alain Froment made for me, and in this case, the Moloney chanter with the Bourke pipes.
Incidentally, you can see the ivory ring and the seamed, tapered ferrule in one of the photos on the inside cover of the new album, and if you really want to see it, come see me on my upcoming tour or use PAYPAL to send EUR 15 to davidpowerup@yahoo.ie, I'll pay the postage anywhere in the world :D
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Can't get it right now, but will look forward to getting it though!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

leremarkable wrote:Hi Dan,
yes, this is correct that the chanter is 18'', but the chanter now has a little ivory ring at the bottom and a longer brass ferrule which extends the length by about two millimetres. The detail of the ivory ring at the bottom is very nice and it looks like it was done quite a while ago, the brass ferrule is tapered and seamed.

Regards,

David
Thanks! I ordered a copy yesterday. Good luck on the sales! :thumbsup:
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

I bought one too; waiting for it to cross the pond.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I cant wait to hear it, a friend has ordered a copy and when he gets it he said he will burn me a copy.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

Received my copy in the mail last night. What a gorgeous sound. Beautiful playing. Instant classic!
rorybbellows wrote:I cant wait to hear it, a friend has ordered a copy and when he gets it he said he will burn me a copy.

RORY
Hopefully if you enjoy it you consider buying a copy - I can understand burning stuff from big impersonal labels and generic crap, but personally I'm more than happy to support pipers who I'm sure aren't getting rich from this as it is!
andyp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andyp »

Agreed!
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The CD arrived in the post yesterday. David's style of piping really suits the tone of the Moloney/Bourke set. Well done, both on making this CD and on getting the Moloney chanter singing so sweetly.
PJ
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Post by vanfleet »

File this under Spoiled Rotten. David Power is at Bucknell University today with Martin Hayes and the traveling troupe of the Masters of Tradition tour! Imagine being able to stroll from the Library over to the Weis Center concert hall (about a hundred yards) for a lunchtime workshop. The 18 inch is sounding amazingly mellow and rich, and David is up to his usual form (that is top).