NEW RELEASE - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
leremarkable

NEW RELEASE - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

Post by leremarkable »

I've a new solo piping recording which features the eighteen Moloney, a historic Bflat chanter I've been playing now for about six years, matched with a Johnny Bourke B set, suitably modified. Details to be had on my new site at

www.davidpowerup.com

I'll have it with me on a tour of the US with The Masters of Tradition in a few weeks,

www.rotharts.com

Regards,

David Power
vanfleet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Re: NEW RELEASE - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

Post by vanfleet »

David;
Outstanding! See you at Bucknell University at the various Weis Center events (workshop, dinner, concert).
Jim Van Fleet
learnthegrip

Post by learnthegrip »

Exciting. Can't wait to hear it!

Ken
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Just ordered my copy. Looking forward to listening to it.

You can never have too much of anything in B-flat.
PJ
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Hey Dave,

Sorry to be so thick but if I send you €15 does that cover shipping? The wording on your page there is a titch vague. I'm still in the States.

Also, was reading about your hassles trying to get a good hard D with that old chanter. Just the other day I took out two little bits of brass foil I'd put in the throat of my Patsy Brown chanter years ago, to cure the motorboating hard D problem. Couldn't remember if they were still in there, actually...sure enough there they were. Replaced them with a much larger bit of cardboard and it almost completely killed the motorboating problem. Unfortunately the 2nd octave is now a bit flat. I could take the cardboard out and toughen up the reed of course but am a complete weeny, to put it mildly. :lol: But plan to try various sizes of cardboard and see what happens. It's all kind of lame, making up for the wood the pipemaker should have put there in the first place, but what are you going to do? Patsy Brown didn't plan on the thing speaking at A=440 in all likelihood either, hence the rush and bits of electrical tape.

So, give cardboard a chance, if you haven't. You say you put a bit of wire in the chanter reed staple to give the same effect - that's something I do all the time with reg reeds - bit of bent paperclip. Have a little plastic 35mm film cannister full of the things, of all lengths. Mutes the reed too, but that's not what you'd want with a chanter reed, I'd think.

That chanter had a bit of a problem with weak reeds giving a false high E, but I figured out last year that a bit of wax in the Eb hole kills that problem too. So, progress, it's only taken 15 years of messing around too... :lol: Journey not the arrival, you know.

Congrats on yet another record, too. Those pipes are something else.
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Hi Kev,
Great post as usual!

I agree that (EUR 15 including shipping) is confusing, I'll change that to say

'total cost including shipping EUR 15'

It took me about 5 years of faffing about with that chanter and reed to get it to where I want it, and the tone was always good, but the blowing pressure was just a bit inhumane :boggle: :swear: , so the throttling back was a major relief and I couldn't really record until I achieved it. Pass on my regards to Brad when you're talking to him.

D
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

YES! :D

I saw This video and love the playing in it! Glad I can get to hear more of your playing, and more of that beautiful chanter! I also love the story behind it!

Will it be on Itunes?

You're a major inspiration for a young beginner like me!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

I own David's other two solo piping albums (Cuaichin Ghleann Neifin, and My Love is in America) and this was an instant buy for me. I can't wait to have a listen!
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Tom, Ken, ennischanter, Jim, thanks for the support, it does make a difference :D and it's appreciated. Jim, it will be lovely to catch up, God but we had a great time in the US while we were there, many adventures fondly remembered!

David
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Alright, sent you 15 sheckles there. Will be happily checking the mailbox.

Incidentally sent Joe Burke some $$$$ yesterday for a book and 3 CDs of Joe, just Joe and that accordion of his, no nuclear scientists bogging things down with any damn piano playing. :lol: Well, he's pretty handy at the keys, admit, but still...other day I read about how CCE brought in Charlie to overdub backup on the old Finn/Horan LP...I've a whole mess of Comhaltas horror stories for people's jaws to drop to. It really is true - "I wouldn't join any organization that would have me as a member."

Anyway, between your record and the 3 of bare box playing this is a good week for the ol' Pure Drop, to say the least.
carel

Post by carel »

ordered one today, looking forward to it :party:
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

The CD has arrived. Very beautiful playing, very sweet
sound. Very tasteful reg playing. Reduced to the max. "Pure Drop" is exactly
what I like. There are only very few pure drop piping records nowadays.
Lots of well-known tunes in very lovely versions.
Outstanding.
Last edited by Hans-Joerg on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I agree, great to see a new one!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
carel

Post by carel »

Received today; very vivid and bright, one I will have around for some time
andyp

Post by andyp »

Great sounding flat set and great playing!!!!

Excellent recording.