anybody can tell what pitch/scale this is?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
DjUntzUntz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

anybody can tell what pitch/scale this is?

Post by DjUntzUntz »

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: anybody can tell what pitch/scale this is?

Post by benhall.1 »

Bb
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

B pentatonic (B, C#, D#, F#, G#).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:B pentatonic (B, C#, D#, F#, G#).
Sorry, Peter, dunno what's the matter with me - didn't hear it, and was blowing way too sharp. You're right of course.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

thanks a lot for the answer :) may I know how you guys figure this out? is there any way to train this? I thought it was B major, but guess I was close and wrong :)

would be great to know how to discover/hear what pitches/scales tunes are! :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

DjUntzUntz wrote:thanks a lot for the answer :) may I know how you guys figure this out? is there any way to train this? I thought it was B major, but guess I was close and wrong :)

I wouldn't say B major was wrong. I would say that that form of pentatonic is a subset of B major. Personal opinion. I think there may be other opinions. Much like there are lumpers and splitters in taxonomy.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

benhall.1 wrote:
DjUntzUntz wrote:thanks a lot for the answer :) may I know how you guys figure this out? is there any way to train this? I thought it was B major, but guess I was close and wrong :)

I wouldn't say B major was wrong. I would say that that form of pentatonic is a subset of B major. Personal opinion. I think there may be other opinions. Much like there are lumpers and splitters in taxonomy.
thanks for your explanation. Now i'm still interested in how you guys are always able to figure this out so fast/good :D!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

DjUntzUntz wrote:Now I'm still interested in how you guys are always able to figure this out so fast/good :D!
Well, I wasn't, was I? I was friggin' useless. :( I've not been well. :sniffle:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:I wouldn't say B major was wrong. I would say that that form of pentatonic is a subset of B major. Personal opinion. I think there may be other opinions.
Aye, we could argue about the single, clearly planned but out-of-scale low A taken by both Julie Fowlis and Mike McGoldrick at 1:16... but (that apart) it's still a pentatonic tune and agreed that form of pentatonic is a subset of B major!
DjUntzUntz wrote:Now i'm still interested in how you guys are always able to figure this out so fast/good :D!
Years of training and usage... after which 'so fast/good' becomes irrelevant for the bread-and-butter stuff (aka your comfort zone) because you don't need time to get it.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Just adding that McGoldrick's playing A fingering on a low E whistle.

I think I've never heard anything, anything by or with Julie Fowlis that didn't make me think the world is a mighty wonderful place after all. She is a gift, just brilliant.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi MTGuru

So you will like Thatcher set and Star above the Garter/ Lisheen and Ensemble including JF and Blackbird

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

DjUntzUntz wrote:
thanks for your explanation. Now i'm still interested in how you guys are always able to figure this out so fast/good :D!
When I want to figure out a scale, I need to play along with the recording. Sometimes if something is really tricky (or really fast) I will use software to loop a note, which makes it trivial to match.

When I want to figure out a key signature quickly, I just ask my wife. She can usually identify them within a couple bars just by hearing them. "Sounds like B," or whatever. But for my purposes I need to keep in mind that she's not telling me the key, but the key signature. She says she doesn't have perfect pitch, but whatever she has seems to work that way a lot of the time -- especially when she sits down and transcribes a melody from a recording and the only tool she uses is a pencil :o
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.