tune id

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
john

tune id

Post by john »

please if anyone could help me out with the name of the 3 part jig that starts something like this:

f a D F F F/ A F b b a f/ a f a D a f/ e

my abc is a bit wonky - I'm using upper case for 2nd octave

thanks
stanton135
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Re: tune id

Post by stanton135 »

Well, I interpreted your notation to mean this, with the upper octave in lowercase:

FAd ~f3 | afB BAF | AFA dAF | E

And when I typed that into Google, the first hit I got was "The Cat's Meow", a 3-part jig in D that looks promising. Is this the one you had in mind?

http://thesession.org/tunes/342
john

Post by john »

that does indeed look like the same tune - many thanks

how do you search abcs on google?
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

It's simple. Just type a bit of music in abc format into the search box. I typed
stanton135 wrote: FAd ~f3 | afB BAF | AFA dAF | E
into the box, no quotes.

Here's an introduction to standard abc notation:
http://abcnotation.com/blog/2010/01/31/ ... he-basics/

Hope this helps!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Or, if you don't fancy Googling for a tune, play a snippet of it into Tunepal. I think it's still free on PCs, but works much better on mobiles, IMO, and you can get the App for about 5 euro, IIRC (last time I checked).

[EDITED TO ADD] I've just looked up the tunepal site, and it's £2.99 sterling if you're in the UK.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I recently got a smartphone (yes I know my 15 year old nokia did me so far and they offered the new one for €20) so I got me tunepal to try. I played Kitty's gone milking into it. Didn't recognise it, came up with the weirdest suggestions, twice.

I don't know. I suppose I'll have to try again but I am not completely convinced by it.
My brain hurts

megapop

Post by megapop »

I've had mostly good experiences with tunepal. However, another option to search for ABCs is the Raverend's ABC tune search.
return null;
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am not too worried, I am usually fine without searching stuff. Only got tunepal because I couldn't think of anything I could use the smartphone for.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I recently got a smartphone (yes I know my 15 year old nokia did me so far and they offered the new one for €20) so I got me tunepal to try. I played Kitty's gone milking into it. Didn't recognise it, came up with the weirdest suggestions, twice.

I don't know. I suppose I'll have to try again but I am not completely convinced by it.
It does depend to an extent what instrument you use when you play into Tunepal. I've found that the best results are with whistle. It works with fiddle provided you don't use double stopping, which confuses it, and it's fine with flute and concertina. At the moment, it doesn't work for banjo.

I get ready to play and then wait for the two-second countdown to finish, although I'm told that that shouldn't be necessary. I also try to use as plain a version of the tune as possible, but again, it seems to work without. Once you get used to it, it's a brilliant tool. I use it generally a few times every day.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I recently got a smartphone ... so I got me tunepal to try. I played Kitty's gone milking into it. Didn't recognise it, came up with the weirdest suggestions, twice.
Gee, maybe you just don't know the tune well enough. Tunepal uses the internet you know..... :poke:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Tunepal has gotten me some suggestions for tunes that have been interesting to say the least. When some of the guys in our session played The Old Gray Goose, TP stated that "I am 54% sure that this is the national anthem of Tibet", so unless Tibet has a very nice jig as its' national anthem, I'm not entirely convinced!
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din